Mar 30, 2012, 11:35 AM EST
Man advantage? More like man disadvantage for the Kings, am I right?
Los Angeles is mired in a horrible power play funk, converting just one of its last 24 chances over the last seven games. That’s pushed them into a tie for the seventh-worst PP in the league (15.4 percent, with Minnesota) — a glaring issue given the team doesn’t score very well at even strength.
Head coach Darryl Sutter has seen enough. On Thursday, he let his feelings be known.
“Power play has been awful,” he told Rich Hammond of LA Kings Insider. “Even last night. You talk about a (good) 60-minute game [against Calgary]. It wasn’t a 60-minute game. In the second period, we had two power plays that changed the momentum of the game.
“We had to play our fourth line, back-to-back shifts, after both power plays to get the momentum back.’’
Ah yes, the momentum-killing power play. To give you an idea of what that feels like, reference the official NHL play-by-play after Calgary’s Clay Wilson took a two-minute interference penalty at 12:31 of the second period.
Calgary won a faceoff, then play was whistled dead for offside. Calgary won another faceoff, then play went offside again. Then the Kings won a faceoff….and by that point, 1:09 of their man advantage had expired. Good times!
All told, the Kings had more power play opportunities against Calgary (four) than power play shots on goal (three).
Unfortunately for L.A., things don’t look to be getting any rosier on the anemic PP front. Reports suggest Jeff Carter has suffered an ankle injury and is unlikely to play Friday against Edmonton.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)