Mar 30, 2012, 11:42 AM EST
The San Jose Sharks are in serious jeopardy of missing the playoffs. Two straight losses to Anaheim and Phoenix have them tied in points with eighth-place Los Angeles in the West, but the Kings have a game in hand.
The last time the Sharks failed to qualify for the playoffs was the 2002-03 season. To put that in perspective, 2003-04 was the last time the Leafs made the playoffs, and we all know the Leafs haven’t made the playoffs in, like, forever.
San Jose still controls its destiny with two games remaining against each of the Dallas Stars and Kings. However, it’s worth wondering what the fallout could be if the Sharks finish on the outside looking in. And even if they do squeak in, what happens if they’re eliminated in the first round?
On the one hand, San Jose’s only one season removed from an appearance in the conference finals. It’s not an old team by any means. Michal Handzus is the elder statesman, and he’s only 35. The Sharks should be in their prime.
On the other, there’s no excuse for this team to miss the playoffs. Martin Havlat’s the only Shark that’s missed significant time with an injury. The rest of the core – Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, Joe Pavelski, Dan Boyle, Brent Burns, Logan Couture, Ryan Clowe – has missed a combined eight games.
We’ve been down this path before with San Jose. The calls for the team to be blown up. Trade Thornton. Trade Marleau. Fire GM Doug Wilson. If the Sharks miss the playoffs, those options won’t seem so drastic.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46