Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Dallas Stars
Where they stand: 3rd in the West (first in the Pacific Division), one point clear of 9th-place San Jose, but with a game in hand
Games remaining: 5
SportsClubStats.com says: 82.5% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
There’s only one team they need to outlast, most likely stumbling San Jose. (Calgary and Colorado are technically still alive, but only technically.) Plus there’s always the chance the Kings or Coyotes choke. The Stars have won three of their last five and have one of the NHL’s better records over the past month, so confidence shouldn’t be an issue.
Why they won’t:
A brutal schedule – at Vancouver, at San Jose, home to San Jose, at Nashville, home to St. Louis. A .500 record in their last five games might get it done, depending how the Sharks games go, but there are no easy points there.
“We have a tough road right to the end of the season, and hopefully we will be in the mix when the dust settles a week or so from now. It’s cliché, but you can only take it one game at a time. – Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray
Key game coming up:
Saturday in San Jose
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 24
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 48
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 80
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires