Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Dallas Stars
Where they stand: 3rd in the West (first in the Pacific Division), one point clear of 9th-place San Jose, but with a game in hand
Games remaining: 5
SportsClubStats.com says: 82.5% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
There’s only one team they need to outlast, most likely stumbling San Jose. (Calgary and Colorado are technically still alive, but only technically.) Plus there’s always the chance the Kings or Coyotes choke. The Stars have won three of their last five and have one of the NHL’s better records over the past month, so confidence shouldn’t be an issue.
Why they won’t:
A brutal schedule – at Vancouver, at San Jose, home to San Jose, at Nashville, home to St. Louis. A .500 record in their last five games might get it done, depending how the Sharks games go, but there are no easy points there.
“We have a tough road right to the end of the season, and hopefully we will be in the mix when the dust settles a week or so from now. It’s cliché, but you can only take it one game at a time. – Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray
Key game coming up:
Saturday in San Jose
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 22
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 12
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54