Mar 30, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
With the NHL playoff race getting down to the wire, we’ll be providing regular updates on each bubble team’s postseason push.
On the bubble: Dallas Stars
Where they stand: 3rd in the West (first in the Pacific Division), one point clear of 9th-place San Jose, but with a game in hand
Games remaining: 5
SportsClubStats.com says: 82.5% chance of making the playoffs
Why they’ll get in:
There’s only one team they need to outlast, most likely stumbling San Jose. (Calgary and Colorado are technically still alive, but only technically.) Plus there’s always the chance the Kings or Coyotes choke. The Stars have won three of their last five and have one of the NHL’s better records over the past month, so confidence shouldn’t be an issue.
Why they won’t:
A brutal schedule – at Vancouver, at San Jose, home to San Jose, at Nashville, home to St. Louis. A .500 record in their last five games might get it done, depending how the Sharks games go, but there are no easy points there.
“We have a tough road right to the end of the season, and hopefully we will be in the mix when the dust settles a week or so from now. It’s cliché, but you can only take it one game at a time. – Stars defenseman Sheldon Souray
Key game coming up:
Saturday in San Jose
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 70
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5