Mar 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Jeff Carter is likely to miss tonight’s game with an ankle injury. Carter’s been quite helpful in the Los Angeles Kings’ turnaround, but he’s still had an ailment-plagued 2011-12 season. His cap hit obviously is friendly, but the term becomes more of a worry when he keeps dealing with bumps and bruises. (Los Angeles Times)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville received a vote of confidence, which is odd for a guy who’s about to make the playoffs in four out of four seasons with the team and also won their first Stanley Cup in ages. If you want another measure of how far this franchise has come in the last five years or so, this is one of the best ones. (CSNChicago.com)
The Colorado Avalanche might just be 30 out of 30th in the NHL when it comes to teams getting along with bloggers – at least considering that they could probably use the actual ink, digital or otherwise – but the Denver Post is the only outlet that is credentialed to cover them. James “Tapleg” Gralian hopes to put together a “blogger summit” to try to change that. (Jerseys and Hockey Love)
It could be some time before he matches Nicklas Lidstrom‘s defensive prowess – if ever – but Erik Karlsson is already putting up numbers that make him among the most productive Swedish blueliners ever. In fact, with 76 points so far, Bruce Garrioch points out that it’s possible Karlsson could tie (or pass) Lidstrom’s Swedish blueliner points record of 80 points, which Lidstrom set in 2006-06. (Ottawa Sun)
Mike Smith looked like the goalie we thought he was when the San Jose Sharks whooped him and the Phoenix Coyotes to open this season. Perhaps it only makes sense that dominating the Sharks has been a big part of his renaissance, as Jim Gintonio discusses his three shutouts against San Jose this season. (AZ Central)
Humiliating the Toronto Maple Leafs last night might really boost the confidence of the Philadelphia Flyers’ rookies. (CSNPhilly.com)
Mar 13, 2014, 10:36 PM EDT
Also, his first goal since March 2, 2010.
Mar 13, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
We’ve seen this many times before.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:47 PM EDT
Big save late in the third period.
Mar 13, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Former Blue notches his 25th of the year.
Mar 13, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
“They’re all over the place.”
Mar 13, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
He leads all Bruins defensemen in scoring.
Mar 13, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Appeared in over 800 games with Hartford, Carolina and Philadelphia.
Mar 13, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
“They put in a system where we know we can win each and every game.”
Mar 13, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
The 42-year-old recently represented the Czech Republic in the Olympics.
Mar 13, 2014, 4:59 PM EDT
Also, what’s wrong with the Ducks?
Mar 13, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
‘Canes d-man shattered his heel last year.
Mar 13, 2014, 4:11 PM EDT
It seems fitting that the Sabres are in town.
Mar 13, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
What could be more important than a hockey game against San Jose?
Mar 13, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT
Comments section should be interesting for this one.
Mar 13, 2014, 2:11 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 13, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
After five straight losses.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:42 PM EDT
The rich get richer.
Mar 13, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
“The whole time in my head I never thought about getting traded or leaving at free agency time.”
Mar 13, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
The Wild have a nice cushion, but a tough remaining schedule.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:48 AM EDT
Just months after he demanded a trade out of Washington.
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 0
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 88
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (88)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)