Mar 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EDT
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Jeff Carter is likely to miss tonight’s game with an ankle injury. Carter’s been quite helpful in the Los Angeles Kings’ turnaround, but he’s still had an ailment-plagued 2011-12 season. His cap hit obviously is friendly, but the term becomes more of a worry when he keeps dealing with bumps and bruises. (Los Angeles Times)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville received a vote of confidence, which is odd for a guy who’s about to make the playoffs in four out of four seasons with the team and also won their first Stanley Cup in ages. If you want another measure of how far this franchise has come in the last five years or so, this is one of the best ones. (CSNChicago.com)
The Colorado Avalanche might just be 30 out of 30th in the NHL when it comes to teams getting along with bloggers – at least considering that they could probably use the actual ink, digital or otherwise – but the Denver Post is the only outlet that is credentialed to cover them. James “Tapleg” Gralian hopes to put together a “blogger summit” to try to change that. (Jerseys and Hockey Love)
It could be some time before he matches Nicklas Lidstrom‘s defensive prowess – if ever – but Erik Karlsson is already putting up numbers that make him among the most productive Swedish blueliners ever. In fact, with 76 points so far, Bruce Garrioch points out that it’s possible Karlsson could tie (or pass) Lidstrom’s Swedish blueliner points record of 80 points, which Lidstrom set in 2006-06. (Ottawa Sun)
Mike Smith looked like the goalie we thought he was when the San Jose Sharks whooped him and the Phoenix Coyotes to open this season. Perhaps it only makes sense that dominating the Sharks has been a big part of his renaissance, as Jim Gintonio discusses his three shutouts against San Jose this season. (AZ Central)
Humiliating the Toronto Maple Leafs last night might really boost the confidence of the Philadelphia Flyers’ rookies. (CSNPhilly.com)
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT
That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)