Mar 30, 2012, 8:00 AM EST
PHT’s Morning Skate takes a look around the world of hockey to see what’s happening and what we’ll be talking about around the NHL world and beyond.
Jeff Carter is likely to miss tonight’s game with an ankle injury. Carter’s been quite helpful in the Los Angeles Kings’ turnaround, but he’s still had an ailment-plagued 2011-12 season. His cap hit obviously is friendly, but the term becomes more of a worry when he keeps dealing with bumps and bruises. (Los Angeles Times)
Chicago Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville received a vote of confidence, which is odd for a guy who’s about to make the playoffs in four out of four seasons with the team and also won their first Stanley Cup in ages. If you want another measure of how far this franchise has come in the last five years or so, this is one of the best ones. (CSNChicago.com)
The Colorado Avalanche might just be 30 out of 30th in the NHL when it comes to teams getting along with bloggers – at least considering that they could probably use the actual ink, digital or otherwise – but the Denver Post is the only outlet that is credentialed to cover them. James “Tapleg” Gralian hopes to put together a “blogger summit” to try to change that. (Jerseys and Hockey Love)
It could be some time before he matches Nicklas Lidstrom‘s defensive prowess – if ever – but Erik Karlsson is already putting up numbers that make him among the most productive Swedish blueliners ever. In fact, with 76 points so far, Bruce Garrioch points out that it’s possible Karlsson could tie (or pass) Lidstrom’s Swedish blueliner points record of 80 points, which Lidstrom set in 2006-06. (Ottawa Sun)
Mike Smith looked like the goalie we thought he was when the San Jose Sharks whooped him and the Phoenix Coyotes to open this season. Perhaps it only makes sense that dominating the Sharks has been a big part of his renaissance, as Jim Gintonio discusses his three shutouts against San Jose this season. (AZ Central)
Humiliating the Toronto Maple Leafs last night might really boost the confidence of the Philadelphia Flyers’ rookies. (CSNPhilly.com)
Dec 6, 2013, 1:33 PM EST
Incident saw the Boston defenseman stretchered off the ice Thursday.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:20 PM EST
Second veteran defenseman they’ve waived this season.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:03 PM EST
Vancouver hosts the Coyotes tonight and the Avs Sunday.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:57 PM EST
So. Many. Injuries.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:13 PM EST
“Felt like we could have had five,” said Joe Pavelski.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Won’t face Dallas on Saturday.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
They blew away the Avs by six goals last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Tough times for the Swiss forward.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Could be the plan.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
Captain John Tavares says they’re not earning wins, but the veteran goalie has a different theory.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
He led New York to a 3-1 victory over Buffalo.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 AM EST
No timetable for return.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EST
Patrick Roy should know how this feels.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:35 AM EST
Bottom of the Metropolitan Division.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:02 AM EST
Triumph in the face of adversity.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Bad night for Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:14 AM EST
Still trying to find consistency.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:48 PM EST
Right to the point.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Pacioretty says he feels ‘awful’ for Boychuk incident.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 14
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)