Mar 30, 2012, 2:54 PM EST
Some tough news for the Los Angeles Kings as they push for the postseason — forward Jeff Carter will miss Friday’s game against Edmonton with an ankle injury. The severity of the injury is unknown, but the 27-year-old could be in danger of also missing Saturday’s tilt in Minnesota.
Carter hurt his ankle Wednesday in Calgary, though it’s unclear when it occurred (Carter played 17:25 and got most of his ice time in the third period.) Regardless, it’s a key loss for the Kings — he has 3G-6A-9PTS in 16 games since coming over from Columbus, clicking on a line with former teammate Mike Richards.
As for Carter’s replacement? Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was non-committal, but it’s clear he has plenty of options. Brad Richardson, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan have all been mentioned as potential fill-ins, but Sutter isn’t offering any clues.
“I haven’t decided yet,” he told LA Kings Insider. “Lots of guys can play different positions. We’ll see what the Oilers are doing first.”
The big concern for Los Angeles is the type of injury Carter’s suffered — he’s been plagued by foot and ankle issues throughout his career:
— 2006: 20 games missed (left ankle injury)
— 2010: Eight games missed (left foot injury)
— 2010: 11 playoff games missed (right foot surgery)
— 2011: 10 games missed (fractured right foot)
Of note, the Kings are 11-5 with Carter in the lineup.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)