Mar 30, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Some tough news for the Los Angeles Kings as they push for the postseason — forward Jeff Carter will miss Friday’s game against Edmonton with an ankle injury. The severity of the injury is unknown, but the 27-year-old could be in danger of also missing Saturday’s tilt in Minnesota.
Carter hurt his ankle Wednesday in Calgary, though it’s unclear when it occurred (Carter played 17:25 and got most of his ice time in the third period.) Regardless, it’s a key loss for the Kings — he has 3G-6A-9PTS in 16 games since coming over from Columbus, clicking on a line with former teammate Mike Richards.
As for Carter’s replacement? Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was non-committal, but it’s clear he has plenty of options. Brad Richardson, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan have all been mentioned as potential fill-ins, but Sutter isn’t offering any clues.
“I haven’t decided yet,” he told LA Kings Insider. “Lots of guys can play different positions. We’ll see what the Oilers are doing first.”
The big concern for Los Angeles is the type of injury Carter’s suffered — he’s been plagued by foot and ankle issues throughout his career:
– 2006: 20 games missed (left ankle injury)
– 2010: Eight games missed (left foot injury)
– 2010: 11 playoff games missed (right foot surgery)
– 2011: 10 games missed (fractured right foot)
Of note, the Kings are 11-5 with Carter in the lineup.
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 24
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 2
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 32
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 84
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (84)