Mar 30, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Some tough news for the Los Angeles Kings as they push for the postseason — forward Jeff Carter will miss Friday’s game against Edmonton with an ankle injury. The severity of the injury is unknown, but the 27-year-old could be in danger of also missing Saturday’s tilt in Minnesota.
Carter hurt his ankle Wednesday in Calgary, though it’s unclear when it occurred (Carter played 17:25 and got most of his ice time in the third period.) Regardless, it’s a key loss for the Kings — he has 3G-6A-9PTS in 16 games since coming over from Columbus, clicking on a line with former teammate Mike Richards.
As for Carter’s replacement? Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was non-committal, but it’s clear he has plenty of options. Brad Richardson, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan have all been mentioned as potential fill-ins, but Sutter isn’t offering any clues.
“I haven’t decided yet,” he told LA Kings Insider. “Lots of guys can play different positions. We’ll see what the Oilers are doing first.”
The big concern for Los Angeles is the type of injury Carter’s suffered — he’s been plagued by foot and ankle issues throughout his career:
– 2006: 20 games missed (left ankle injury)
— 2010: Eight games missed (left foot injury)
— 2010: 11 playoff games missed (right foot surgery)
— 2011: 10 games missed (fractured right foot)
Of note, the Kings are 11-5 with Carter in the lineup.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)