Mar 30, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
Some tough news for the Los Angeles Kings as they push for the postseason — forward Jeff Carter will miss Friday’s game against Edmonton with an ankle injury. The severity of the injury is unknown, but the 27-year-old could be in danger of also missing Saturday’s tilt in Minnesota.
Carter hurt his ankle Wednesday in Calgary, though it’s unclear when it occurred (Carter played 17:25 and got most of his ice time in the third period.) Regardless, it’s a key loss for the Kings — he has 3G-6A-9PTS in 16 games since coming over from Columbus, clicking on a line with former teammate Mike Richards.
As for Carter’s replacement? Kings head coach Darryl Sutter was non-committal, but it’s clear he has plenty of options. Brad Richardson, Dwight King and Jordan Nolan have all been mentioned as potential fill-ins, but Sutter isn’t offering any clues.
“I haven’t decided yet,” he told LA Kings Insider. “Lots of guys can play different positions. We’ll see what the Oilers are doing first.”
The big concern for Los Angeles is the type of injury Carter’s suffered — he’s been plagued by foot and ankle issues throughout his career:
– 2006: 20 games missed (left ankle injury)
— 2010: Eight games missed (left foot injury)
— 2010: 11 playoff games missed (right foot surgery)
— 2011: 10 games missed (fractured right foot)
Of note, the Kings are 11-5 with Carter in the lineup.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 65
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (71)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)