Mar 30, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Concussion issues delayed the process, but Sidney Crosby is still one of the fastest players to 600 points in NHL history. The Pittsburgh Penguins point out that he’s the seventh-youngest to reach that milestone, at 24 years old (plus 236 days).
Crosby reached the milestone when he assisted on a James Neal power-play goal as part of what is (so far) a four-point night. He also collected his fifth goal of the season to go with three helpers (and possibly counting, since the second period just ended with Pittsburgh up 4-3 against the Buffalo Sabres).
Update: the Penguins added an empty-netter to win 5-3.
In case you’re playing the “What if?” game with concussions, a Penguins preview indicates that Crosby also took the seventh-fewest contests to reach 600 points. He did it in 430 regular season matches, one behind Eric Lindros, who did it 429. (Try not to sound ominous music regarding the two concussion-plagued Canadian stars, if you can.)
Crosby didn’t generate the only milestone of the night, however, as Pascal Dupuis collected two assists to extend his points streak to 13 games – the longest in the NHL this season, according to Pens Inside Scoop. Considering all the star power in Pittsburgh and Evgeni Malkin‘s amazing campaign in particular, it’s especially surprising (and impressive) that the versatile yet understated Dupuis might finish with the league’s longest streak.
Check out Crosby-heavy highlights below:
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 5
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 9
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 94
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games