Mar 30, 2012, 9:19 PM EDT
Concussion issues delayed the process, but Sidney Crosby is still one of the fastest players to 600 points in NHL history. The Pittsburgh Penguins point out that he’s the seventh-youngest to reach that milestone, at 24 years old (plus 236 days).
Crosby reached the milestone when he assisted on a James Neal power-play goal as part of what is (so far) a four-point night. He also collected his fifth goal of the season to go with three helpers (and possibly counting, since the second period just ended with Pittsburgh up 4-3 against the Buffalo Sabres).
Update: the Penguins added an empty-netter to win 5-3.
In case you’re playing the “What if?” game with concussions, a Penguins preview indicates that Crosby also took the seventh-fewest contests to reach 600 points. He did it in 430 regular season matches, one behind Eric Lindros, who did it 429. (Try not to sound ominous music regarding the two concussion-plagued Canadian stars, if you can.)
Crosby didn’t generate the only milestone of the night, however, as Pascal Dupuis collected two assists to extend his points streak to 13 games – the longest in the NHL this season, according to Pens Inside Scoop. Considering all the star power in Pittsburgh and Evgeni Malkin‘s amazing campaign in particular, it’s especially surprising (and impressive) that the versatile yet understated Dupuis might finish with the league’s longest streak.
Check out Crosby-heavy highlights below:
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63