Mar 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
With Philadelphia in Toronto on Thursday to take on the Leafs, former Flyers captain and native Ontarian Eric Lindros took the opportunity to participate in the pregame skate:
“It was very cool,” Flyers defenseman Matt Carle told CSN Philadelphia. “He was in the locker room before we went out and rumors were swelling that he would come out and skate with us.”
This was the latest move welcoming Lindros back into the Flyers fold after years of acrimony between the two sides. The most memorable instance came in January at the 2012 Winter Classic, when Lindros participated in the alumni game and received a raucous ovation from the Citizens Bank Park faithful.
Today, another step. Philly GM Paul Holmgren extended the invite to Lindros to skate with the team and play some 3-on-3 shinny, and the Big E sounded extremely grateful to have received it.
“That was a lot of fun,” Lindros said. “Any time you can wake up and head to this building to go on the ice, it’s a blast, it really is. Hockey is a great game. I really enjoy hockey.
“Homer gave me a call and said come down to the room and say hello to the guys and go out for a skate. It was good time.”
As for how Lindros looked? Even though he’s 39 and a tad over his playing weight, several Flyers were impressed with his skill set — and size.
“He can still play, he’s a big man,” Scott Hartnell said. “He was out there for fun. It was kind of cool seeing him in the dressing room. I remember him as a Flyer out there absolutely dominating with big checks, big goals.
“Just to see him wheeling around with us was cool. I am a midget compared to him. He is just so thick.”
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54