Mar 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EDT
With Philadelphia in Toronto on Thursday to take on the Leafs, former Flyers captain and native Ontarian Eric Lindros took the opportunity to participate in the pregame skate:
“It was very cool,” Flyers defenseman Matt Carle told CSN Philadelphia. “He was in the locker room before we went out and rumors were swelling that he would come out and skate with us.”
This was the latest move welcoming Lindros back into the Flyers fold after years of acrimony between the two sides. The most memorable instance came in January at the 2012 Winter Classic, when Lindros participated in the alumni game and received a raucous ovation from the Citizens Bank Park faithful.
Today, another step. Philly GM Paul Holmgren extended the invite to Lindros to skate with the team and play some 3-on-3 shinny, and the Big E sounded extremely grateful to have received it.
“That was a lot of fun,” Lindros said. “Any time you can wake up and head to this building to go on the ice, it’s a blast, it really is. Hockey is a great game. I really enjoy hockey.
“Homer gave me a call and said come down to the room and say hello to the guys and go out for a skate. It was good time.”
As for how Lindros looked? Even though he’s 39 and a tad over his playing weight, several Flyers were impressed with his skill set — and size.
“He can still play, he’s a big man,” Scott Hartnell said. “He was out there for fun. It was kind of cool seeing him in the dressing room. I remember him as a Flyer out there absolutely dominating with big checks, big goals.
“Just to see him wheeling around with us was cool. I am a midget compared to him. He is just so thick.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 16
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 37
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)