Mar 29, 2012, 6:35 PM EST
With Philadelphia in Toronto on Thursday to take on the Leafs, former Flyers captain and native Ontarian Eric Lindros took the opportunity to participate in the pregame skate:
“It was very cool,” Flyers defenseman Matt Carle told CSN Philadelphia. “He was in the locker room before we went out and rumors were swelling that he would come out and skate with us.”
This was the latest move welcoming Lindros back into the Flyers fold after years of acrimony between the two sides. The most memorable instance came in January at the 2012 Winter Classic, when Lindros participated in the alumni game and received a raucous ovation from the Citizens Bank Park faithful.
Today, another step. Philly GM Paul Holmgren extended the invite to Lindros to skate with the team and play some 3-on-3 shinny, and the Big E sounded extremely grateful to have received it.
“That was a lot of fun,” Lindros said. “Any time you can wake up and head to this building to go on the ice, it’s a blast, it really is. Hockey is a great game. I really enjoy hockey.
“Homer gave me a call and said come down to the room and say hello to the guys and go out for a skate. It was good time.”
As for how Lindros looked? Even though he’s 39 and a tad over his playing weight, several Flyers were impressed with his skill set — and size.
“He can still play, he’s a big man,” Scott Hartnell said. “He was out there for fun. It was kind of cool seeing him in the dressing room. I remember him as a Flyer out there absolutely dominating with big checks, big goals.
“Just to see him wheeling around with us was cool. I am a midget compared to him. He is just so thick.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)