Mar 29, 2012, 6:19 PM EDT
You can accuse Randy Carlyle of being grumpy, crotchety, irritable or even surly — just don’t call him miserly.
The Toronto Maple Leafs head coach is almost generous to a fault.
Jussi Rynnas was to back-up Gustavsson Thursday. Rynnas had been sent down to the Marlies on Wednesday, with Ben Scrivens recalled. But Scrivens was sent back to the Marlies after practising on Wednesday with the Leafs.
“(Scrivens) is clearly the No. 1 guy down there and the player deserved an opportunity to earn NHL dollars for a day (approximately $2,800 US) as a reward,” Carlyle said. “For his development and the long-term status of the organization, we feel it is important for the Marlies to have as much a chance for success and that is why he came up yesterday and practised with us, got paid NHL dollars and is now back with the Marlies for their weekend.”
To be fair, this might not all be Carlyle’s idea. Ever since Brian Burke extended Ron Wilson’s contract, Toronto’s really been pushing the “reward employees regardless of what they do at the NHL level” program.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)