Mar 29, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews is “getting very, very close” to returning from an extended concussion-related absence.
Toews skated for the 10th straight day this morning, after which he spoke to reporters to provide a status update.
“(I’m) getting very, very close,” said Toews, as per NHL.com. “I think getting to this point and not playing is probably the toughest thing to do, but at the same time it’s smart. I definitely need a few more days to kind of see how it goes through this weekend and we’ll see where we’re at next week, basically. Right now, I’m feeling great. I’ve just got to get those legs going and try to get myself back to being as close to game shape as I can.”
Toews has yet to be cleared for contact, but barring a setback (which he’s already experienced once during his recovery), clearance should be given soon.
If Toews does return before the playoffs, it won’t happen until at least next Thursday in Minnesota. And if not then, look to the season finale Apr. 7 in Detroit.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)