Mar 29, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews is “getting very, very close” to returning from an extended concussion-related absence.
Toews skated for the 10th straight day this morning, after which he spoke to reporters to provide a status update.
“(I’m) getting very, very close,” said Toews, as per NHL.com. “I think getting to this point and not playing is probably the toughest thing to do, but at the same time it’s smart. I definitely need a few more days to kind of see how it goes through this weekend and we’ll see where we’re at next week, basically. Right now, I’m feeling great. I’ve just got to get those legs going and try to get myself back to being as close to game shape as I can.”
Toews has yet to be cleared for contact, but barring a setback (which he’s already experienced once during his recovery), clearance should be given soon.
If Toews does return before the playoffs, it won’t happen until at least next Thursday in Minnesota. And if not then, look to the season finale Apr. 7 in Detroit.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 29
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)