Mar 29, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews is “getting very, very close” to returning from an extended concussion-related absence.
Toews skated for the 10th straight day this morning, after which he spoke to reporters to provide a status update.
“(I’m) getting very, very close,” said Toews, as per NHL.com. “I think getting to this point and not playing is probably the toughest thing to do, but at the same time it’s smart. I definitely need a few more days to kind of see how it goes through this weekend and we’ll see where we’re at next week, basically. Right now, I’m feeling great. I’ve just got to get those legs going and try to get myself back to being as close to game shape as I can.”
Toews has yet to be cleared for contact, but barring a setback (which he’s already experienced once during his recovery), clearance should be given soon.
If Toews does return before the playoffs, it won’t happen until at least next Thursday in Minnesota. And if not then, look to the season finale Apr. 7 in Detroit.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)