Mar 29, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews is “getting very, very close” to returning from an extended concussion-related absence.
Toews skated for the 10th straight day this morning, after which he spoke to reporters to provide a status update.
“(I’m) getting very, very close,” said Toews, as per NHL.com. “I think getting to this point and not playing is probably the toughest thing to do, but at the same time it’s smart. I definitely need a few more days to kind of see how it goes through this weekend and we’ll see where we’re at next week, basically. Right now, I’m feeling great. I’ve just got to get those legs going and try to get myself back to being as close to game shape as I can.”
Toews has yet to be cleared for contact, but barring a setback (which he’s already experienced once during his recovery), clearance should be given soon.
If Toews does return before the playoffs, it won’t happen until at least next Thursday in Minnesota. And if not then, look to the season finale Apr. 7 in Detroit.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 10
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 22
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (79)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT