Mar 29, 2012, 6:41 PM EDT
The Columbus Dispatch is reporting that the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority closed on its purchase of Nationwide Arena yesterday in a transaction that’s expected to save the Blue Jackets $9.5 million a season and, more importantly, keep it from relocating until at least 2039.
That’s the plan anyway. (More on that later.)
The $42.5 million purchase of the downtown arena from Nationwide Realty Investors will be financed with county and city casino revenue (proving once again that gambling can solve everything).
It’s a good deal for the money-losing club, which was able to finagle a rent-free lease by doing what every savvy pro sports franchise does when times get tough – threatening to move.
Writes the Post: “City and county officials have said that their decision to buy the arena wasn’t about hockey; it was about protecting the Arena District that sprang up around Nationwide Arena after it opened in 2000. What was an empty landscape dominated by a closed, decaying prison is now home to apartments, condominiums, restaurants and offices. Nearly 10,000 people work there.”
Now, it’s worth noting that there’s a way for the Jackets to skip town before 2039 — they just have pay $39 million in damages. And while $39 million isn’t peanuts, if Columbus keeps hemorrhaging money, it might become a price worth paying to move to a more profitable market.
But let’s not worry about that now. Today is a good day for Columbus hockey fans, and those have been few and far between this season.
To celebrate the big news, the Jackets have signed goaltender Steve Mason to a 10-year, $50-million extension.
- Report: Islanders, Leafs, Flyers, Wild, Panthers interested in Bernier 0
- Blackhawks nearly blow it…but don’t 3
- ‘Hawks rattle Rask with ‘way more traffic’ in Game 4 6
- Discuss: More Seabrook OT magic ties series 29
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? (Updated) 65
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 24
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 27
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 37
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 61
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 103