Mar 29, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
When you have a roster littered with stars and semi-stars, it’s easy to get seduced into the siren call of a “track meet” style game. Still, it seems that has burned the Pittsburgh Penguins here and there – most notably in an upset loss against the New York Islanders on Tuesday – prompting the team to reassess their game plan, as Brooks Orpik and others told The Associated Press.
“I think you fall into a trap,” Orpik said. “I think especially when you get away with it for a few games. It starts snowballing and you get on a roll and you think it’s going to keep happening.”
“We’ve got to be willing to win 2-0 instead of 6-4, 7-4. When you play good teams it’s tough to win when you play that wide open.”
Even with the Penguins’ treasure trove of talent, the postseason can often be an unfriendly place for high-scoring, loose styles. NHL officials have already resisted calling obstruction penalties more and more as the last few seasons have gone on and that’s only likely to increase as the playoffs come along – which is bad news if Pittsburgh expects to light up the scoreboard.
It’s a mild bummer to say this from an entertainment standpoint, but they might just want to take that star-free mindset into the playoffs despite being chock-full of marquee talent.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)