Mar 29, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Grumpy types and hyper-literal people don’t enjoy abstract analogies, but the rest of us gain better understanding by comparing teams in different sports. For that reason, the “Moneyball” Oakland A’s and Nashville Predators seem like a logical match – especially after the Preds finally won a playoff round in 2011.
However you frame the discussion, GM David Poile and head coach Barry Trotz have built something special in a non-traditional market, as tonight’s action clinched a playoff berth for the Predators. Joshua Cooper captures the significance of the feat: Nashville has made the playoffs in seven out of eight seasons despite being a low-budget team.
It’s hard not to be snarky about the Predators reaching this goal on a night of inactivity, but if nothing else, it shows what separates Nashville from up-and-down teams. While other inconsistent West teams struggle thanks to the high and low points of their stars and coaches, Poile and Trotz’s squads display an almost-robotic consistency that makes them a near-shoo-in for the postseason.
That’s not to say it’s easy by any means, yet that’s part of what makes Nashville’s work so impressive.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)