Mar 29, 2012, 12:54 AM EDT
Grumpy types and hyper-literal people don’t enjoy abstract analogies, but the rest of us gain better understanding by comparing teams in different sports. For that reason, the “Moneyball” Oakland A’s and Nashville Predators seem like a logical match – especially after the Preds finally won a playoff round in 2011.
However you frame the discussion, GM David Poile and head coach Barry Trotz have built something special in a non-traditional market, as tonight’s action clinched a playoff berth for the Predators. Joshua Cooper captures the significance of the feat: Nashville has made the playoffs in seven out of eight seasons despite being a low-budget team.
It’s hard not to be snarky about the Predators reaching this goal on a night of inactivity, but if nothing else, it shows what separates Nashville from up-and-down teams. While other inconsistent West teams struggle thanks to the high and low points of their stars and coaches, Poile and Trotz’s squads display an almost-robotic consistency that makes them a near-shoo-in for the postseason.
That’s not to say it’s easy by any means, yet that’s part of what makes Nashville’s work so impressive.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)