Mar 29, 2012, 12:54 AM EST
Grumpy types and hyper-literal people don’t enjoy abstract analogies, but the rest of us gain better understanding by comparing teams in different sports. For that reason, the “Moneyball” Oakland A’s and Nashville Predators seem like a logical match – especially after the Preds finally won a playoff round in 2011.
However you frame the discussion, GM David Poile and head coach Barry Trotz have built something special in a non-traditional market, as tonight’s action clinched a playoff berth for the Predators. Joshua Cooper captures the significance of the feat: Nashville has made the playoffs in seven out of eight seasons despite being a low-budget team.
It’s hard not to be snarky about the Predators reaching this goal on a night of inactivity, but if nothing else, it shows what separates Nashville from up-and-down teams. While other inconsistent West teams struggle thanks to the high and low points of their stars and coaches, Poile and Trotz’s squads display an almost-robotic consistency that makes them a near-shoo-in for the postseason.
That’s not to say it’s easy by any means, yet that’s part of what makes Nashville’s work so impressive.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 32
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)