Mar 29, 2012, 10:24 PM EDT
If starting their 15th goalie of the post-lockout era wasn’t a strong enough sign that things are bad for the Toronto Maple Leafs, then Thursday’s humorous chant clinched it. During various points in a 7-1 drubbing by the Philadelphia Flyers, Buds fans sarcastically (and at times, quite loudly) chanted “Let’s go Blue Jays.”
While there are times when fans will promote local teams when times are good (usually when a given squad’s success is unusual), it’s often the comical barometer of especially bad times for a franchise.
James Mirtle points out that the team is 5-17-3 in their last 25 games, which would be a 43-point pace during a full season. It’s pretty tough to blame fans for getting sardonic about the whole situation – especially since the one plus (improving draft lottery odds) probably falls upon deaf ears considering the franchise’s lengthy struggles – but the bad times aren’t lost on players.
“I don’t know if you guys have seen something like this before because I haven’t,” Kessel said. “We just can’t figure it out. We’re trying.”
The merciful news is that the Maple Leafs only have four games left this season, with two at home. That’s plenty of time for fans to come up with another round of funny chants, but at least the suffering will end … or at least will be paused until next season, depending upon who you ask.
On the bright side: baseball season is right around the corner.
Check out highlights below:
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)