Mar 29, 2012, 12:22 AM EDT
The funny thing about the Los Angeles Kings overall-disappointing (playoff berth or not) regular season is that they’ve gotten the one thing that’s been missing for a huge chunk of their franchise history.
For those who are uninitiated, the Kings have had their highs and lows, but rarely have they enjoyed stellar goaltending – even in their better moments. One cannot totally separate his accomplishments from the great defense in front of him, yet Jonathan Quick might just be that franchise goalie Kings fans have always dreamed of.
That possibility was made reasonable on Wednesday night as Quick shut out the Calgary Flames to helping Los Angeles win the Sutter Bowl against the Calgary Flames 3-0, breaking the Kings’ single-season shutout record with nine and greatly improving their playoff chances in the process.
It’s simple to say that Quick has done everything for the Kings, but that’s not totally fair. One could see that the team’s tight defensive system bolsters his numbers – and perhaps inhibits the group’s offensive talent to an extent in the process – yet his stats are undeniably impressive.
His win-loss record won’t impress Vezina Trophy voters attached to old standards, but make no mistake about it: Los Angeles wouldn’t even be in the playoff chase if Quick wasn’t standing on his head.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)