Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
While it’s not a certainty, obvious body language – shaking his head in apparent frustration, leaving the ice in an instant – indicates that Tomas Vokoun aggravated his groin injury tonight. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno ranks among the people who feel strongly that it’s not just a skate issue for a goalie who missed 13 games with that ailment.
The first period ended as a good news/bad news scenario for the Washington Capitals in another big game (this time against the Bruins in Boston). Admittedly, the atmosphere leans toward the negative, though.
Good news: Vokoun helped the Capitals kill most of the five-minute major penalty that resulted, leaving the net with somewhere around 40 seconds of PK time remaining.
Bad news: Vokoun likely tweaked that injury during the kill.
Neutral: The first period ended 0-0, which all things considered (particularly the 7-2 shot disparity in favor of Boston), might just be good news.
Update: CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Vokoun won’t return to the game – and even goes as far as to wonder if it’s “the last” the team will see of the banged-up netminder. (In a Capitals uniform, at least.)
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 12
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4