Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
While it’s not a certainty, obvious body language – shaking his head in apparent frustration, leaving the ice in an instant – indicates that Tomas Vokoun aggravated his groin injury tonight. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno ranks among the people who feel strongly that it’s not just a skate issue for a goalie who missed 13 games with that ailment.
The first period ended as a good news/bad news scenario for the Washington Capitals in another big game (this time against the Bruins in Boston). Admittedly, the atmosphere leans toward the negative, though.
Good news: Vokoun helped the Capitals kill most of the five-minute major penalty that resulted, leaving the net with somewhere around 40 seconds of PK time remaining.
Bad news: Vokoun likely tweaked that injury during the kill.
Neutral: The first period ended 0-0, which all things considered (particularly the 7-2 shot disparity in favor of Boston), might just be good news.
Update: CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Vokoun won’t return to the game – and even goes as far as to wonder if it’s “the last” the team will see of the banged-up netminder. (In a Capitals uniform, at least.)
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 1
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 7
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 61
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 93
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games