Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
While it’s not a certainty, obvious body language – shaking his head in apparent frustration, leaving the ice in an instant – indicates that Tomas Vokoun aggravated his groin injury tonight. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno ranks among the people who feel strongly that it’s not just a skate issue for a goalie who missed 13 games with that ailment.
The first period ended as a good news/bad news scenario for the Washington Capitals in another big game (this time against the Bruins in Boston). Admittedly, the atmosphere leans toward the negative, though.
Good news: Vokoun helped the Capitals kill most of the five-minute major penalty that resulted, leaving the net with somewhere around 40 seconds of PK time remaining.
Bad news: Vokoun likely tweaked that injury during the kill.
Neutral: The first period ended 0-0, which all things considered (particularly the 7-2 shot disparity in favor of Boston), might just be good news.
Update: CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Vokoun won’t return to the game – and even goes as far as to wonder if it’s “the last” the team will see of the banged-up netminder. (In a Capitals uniform, at least.)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)