Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
While it’s not a certainty, obvious body language – shaking his head in apparent frustration, leaving the ice in an instant – indicates that Tomas Vokoun aggravated his groin injury tonight. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno ranks among the people who feel strongly that it’s not just a skate issue for a goalie who missed 13 games with that ailment.
The first period ended as a good news/bad news scenario for the Washington Capitals in another big game (this time against the Bruins in Boston). Admittedly, the atmosphere leans toward the negative, though.
Good news: Vokoun helped the Capitals kill most of the five-minute major penalty that resulted, leaving the net with somewhere around 40 seconds of PK time remaining.
Bad news: Vokoun likely tweaked that injury during the kill.
Neutral: The first period ended 0-0, which all things considered (particularly the 7-2 shot disparity in favor of Boston), might just be good news.
Update: CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Vokoun won’t return to the game – and even goes as far as to wonder if it’s “the last” the team will see of the banged-up netminder. (In a Capitals uniform, at least.)
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 4
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 60
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 24
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1