Mar 29, 2012, 7:50 PM EST
While it’s not a certainty, obvious body language – shaking his head in apparent frustration, leaving the ice in an instant – indicates that Tomas Vokoun aggravated his groin injury tonight. The Washington Times’ Stephen Whyno ranks among the people who feel strongly that it’s not just a skate issue for a goalie who missed 13 games with that ailment.
The first period ended as a good news/bad news scenario for the Washington Capitals in another big game (this time against the Bruins in Boston). Admittedly, the atmosphere leans toward the negative, though.
Good news: Vokoun helped the Capitals kill most of the five-minute major penalty that resulted, leaving the net with somewhere around 40 seconds of PK time remaining.
Bad news: Vokoun likely tweaked that injury during the kill.
Neutral: The first period ended 0-0, which all things considered (particularly the 7-2 shot disparity in favor of Boston), might just be good news.
Update: CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that Vokoun won’t return to the game – and even goes as far as to wonder if it’s “the last” the team will see of the banged-up netminder. (In a Capitals uniform, at least.)
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 7
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 80
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 41
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (83)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)