Mar 29, 2012, 9:47 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins seem primed for a tough first round matchup against the Philadelphia Flyers, but one could argue that they’re glad the New York Islanders won’t make the playoffs. The Isles landed two crushing blows on the Penguins’ Atlantic Division title hopes this week as they took another regulation win tonight by a score of 5-3.
That matches the 5-3 score from the Islanders’ road win against the Penguins on Tuesday, holding Pittsburgh to 100 standings points – five behind the just-as-hated New York Rangers.
Some Islanders fans will probably find it bittersweet, but considering the slugfest from 2010-11, it’s obvious that New York has no love for the Penguins. (Even if they don’t have the same inner-state rivalry going.)
Josh Bailey has been especially hot lately, factoring into all five Islanders goals with two tallies and three assists tonight. That gives him a staggering eight points in those two contests against Pittsburgh, extending his points streak to six games (four goals, 10 assists for 14 points) and giving the team something to look forward to in 2012-13.
On the bright side for the Penguins, it seemed that Sidney Crosby dodged a bullet by recovering quickly after taking a puck to the face. There might be some panic for the less patient in Pittsburgh, but that nice break highlights the fact that things could get much, much worse.
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 0
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement