Mar 29, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
As previously reported, Ilya Bryzgalov will not play on Thursday due to a chip fracture in his foot. The good news is that he might be back between the pipes as early as Saturday.
“We don’t think this is a serious injury,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “It’s a chip off a weight-bearing bone, and the doctor has said it’ll be absorbed back into his system, and there’s no real risk here at all [to play]. It’s just he’s in a little bit of pain right now.”
Bryzgalov has been one of the league’s top goaltenders since the All-Star break, so getting him back before the playoffs would be a huge help. That’s especially true because their first round opponent is currently projected to be the very dangerous Pittsburgh Penguins.
In the meantime, Sergei Bobrovsky will start for just the second time since Feb. 12. He has allowed three or more goals in each of his last six appearances, but this could be an opportunity for him to put that behind him before the postseason starts.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)