Mar 29, 2012, 8:08 AM EDT
As previously reported, Ilya Bryzgalov will not play on Thursday due to a chip fracture in his foot. The good news is that he might be back between the pipes as early as Saturday.
“We don’t think this is a serious injury,” Flyers GM Paul Holmgren said. “It’s a chip off a weight-bearing bone, and the doctor has said it’ll be absorbed back into his system, and there’s no real risk here at all [to play]. It’s just he’s in a little bit of pain right now.”
Bryzgalov has been one of the league’s top goaltenders since the All-Star break, so getting him back before the playoffs would be a huge help. That’s especially true because their first round opponent is currently projected to be the very dangerous Pittsburgh Penguins.
In the meantime, Sergei Bobrovsky will start for just the second time since Feb. 12. He has allowed three or more goals in each of his last six appearances, but this could be an opportunity for him to put that behind him before the postseason starts.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)