Mar 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation has announced the trio of forwards that will vie for this year’s trophy: Maine’s Spencer Abbott, Minnesota-Duluth’s Jack Connolly and Colgate’s Austin Smith.
The three were selected from an original list of 10 candidates released earlier this season.
Abbott, the reigning Hockey East Player of the year, was the Black Bears assistant captain and led the nation in scoring and assists. He recently signed a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs and will join the AHL’s Marlies for the remainder of this season.
Connolly, a Hobey top ten finalist last year, captained the Bulldogs this season while also winning the WCHA scoring title and Player of the Year award. He also holds the unique distinction of never missing a collegiate game, participating in 164 consecutive contests for Minnesota-Duluth.
Smith is the most celebrated sniper of the group. He led the country in goals (36) and shorthanded tallies (six) en route to winning the ECAC scoring title. He was named conference Player of the Year and reached the 30-goal plateau fasted than any collegiate player in 12 years. Dallas’ fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Smith recently signed an entry-level deal with the Stars and reported to AHL Texas on Tuesday.
(Image courtesy Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation)
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 4
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 15
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 41
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (76)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)