Mar 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation has announced the trio of forwards that will vie for this year’s trophy: Maine’s Spencer Abbott, Minnesota-Duluth’s Jack Connolly and Colgate’s Austin Smith.
The three were selected from an original list of 10 candidates released earlier this season.
Abbott, the reigning Hockey East Player of the year, was the Black Bears assistant captain and led the nation in scoring and assists. He recently signed a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs and will join the AHL’s Marlies for the remainder of this season.
Connolly, a Hobey top ten finalist last year, captained the Bulldogs this season while also winning the WCHA scoring title and Player of the Year award. He also holds the unique distinction of never missing a collegiate game, participating in 164 consecutive contests for Minnesota-Duluth.
Smith is the most celebrated sniper of the group. He led the country in goals (36) and shorthanded tallies (six) en route to winning the ECAC scoring title. He was named conference Player of the Year and reached the 30-goal plateau fasted than any collegiate player in 12 years. Dallas’ fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Smith recently signed an entry-level deal with the Stars and reported to AHL Texas on Tuesday.
(Image courtesy Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation)
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)