Mar 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation has announced the trio of forwards that will vie for this year’s trophy: Maine’s Spencer Abbott, Minnesota-Duluth’s Jack Connolly and Colgate’s Austin Smith.
The three were selected from an original list of 10 candidates released earlier this season.
Abbott, the reigning Hockey East Player of the year, was the Black Bears assistant captain and led the nation in scoring and assists. He recently signed a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs and will join the AHL’s Marlies for the remainder of this season.
Connolly, a Hobey top ten finalist last year, captained the Bulldogs this season while also winning the WCHA scoring title and Player of the Year award. He also holds the unique distinction of never missing a collegiate game, participating in 164 consecutive contests for Minnesota-Duluth.
Smith is the most celebrated sniper of the group. He led the country in goals (36) and shorthanded tallies (six) en route to winning the ECAC scoring title. He was named conference Player of the Year and reached the 30-goal plateau fasted than any collegiate player in 12 years. Dallas’ fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Smith recently signed an entry-level deal with the Stars and reported to AHL Texas on Tuesday.
(Image courtesy Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation)
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)