Mar 29, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
The Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation has announced the trio of forwards that will vie for this year’s trophy: Maine’s Spencer Abbott, Minnesota-Duluth’s Jack Connolly and Colgate’s Austin Smith.
The three were selected from an original list of 10 candidates released earlier this season.
Abbott, the reigning Hockey East Player of the year, was the Black Bears assistant captain and led the nation in scoring and assists. He recently signed a contract with the Toronto Maple Leafs and will join the AHL’s Marlies for the remainder of this season.
Connolly, a Hobey top ten finalist last year, captained the Bulldogs this season while also winning the WCHA scoring title and Player of the Year award. He also holds the unique distinction of never missing a collegiate game, participating in 164 consecutive contests for Minnesota-Duluth.
Smith is the most celebrated sniper of the group. He led the country in goals (36) and shorthanded tallies (six) en route to winning the ECAC scoring title. He was named conference Player of the Year and reached the 30-goal plateau fasted than any collegiate player in 12 years. Dallas’ fifth-round pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Smith recently signed an entry-level deal with the Stars and reported to AHL Texas on Tuesday.
(Image courtesy Hobey Baker Memorial Award Foundation)
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)