Mar 29, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
The old joke is to say that the most dangerous place in the world is between “(insert celebrity/politician) and a camera.” That statement might need to be revised to “in between the pipes for the Toronto Maple Leafs.”
Jonas Gustavsson continued the comedy of errors by getting injured during warm-ups, giving way for Jussi Rynnas. That latest shuffle prompted this interesting fact from The Score: the Maple Leafs have had 15 different starting goalies since the lockout ended.
Using Hockey Reference’s season stats, I decided to track down those 15 goalies, in no exact order:
Boy, that’s quite the motley mixture of not-ready, washed-up or just-plain-awful goalies, isn’t it?
There are any number of potential reasons that explain Toronto’s inept run since the work stoppage, but that list of netminders might be the simplest demonstration of why playoff bids have been nonexistent while misery, snark and frustrations can be found in a nearly endless supply.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)