Mar 29, 2012, 2:08 PM EST
The infection stems from a cut Seidenberg suffered after getting sliced by a skate against Los Angeles on Saturday. He played through the pain on Sunday against Anaheim but once the cut became infected, the team’s medical staff decided to hold him out for precautionary measures.
“A little infection is gotten in there now. He’s on antibiotics, so just to play it safe we’re going to keep him out,” head coach Claude Julien said. “It’s just day-to-day. It’s not long term. We’re just taking care of that. We’ll keep him out tonight and hopefully have him back in the next game.”
Joe Corvo, a healthy scratch for the last six games, will replace Seidenberg in the lineup.
This is the second time in the last three years Seidenberg has suffered ill-effects from a skate cut. He underwent forearm surgery in Apr. 2010 after suffering a lacerated tendon in Toronto, missing the rest of the regular season and all of the playoffs.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)