Mar 28, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
To some, the Florida Panthers’ acquisition of Wojtek Wolski seemed like nothing more than a low-risk Hail Mary for a decidedly up-and-down player. That’s mostly true, but the team also insisted that he would boost a problem area: shootout efficiency.
Harvey Fialkov points out that the team is a relatively successful 3-3 in the skills competition since adding Wolski, claiming that it’s “no coincidence.”
Wolski is 2-for-6 in shootouts with the Panthers, his first keeping the session alive until Dmitry Kulikov‘s game winner in a 3-2 victory over the Sabres on March 17. Then on Tuesday, after a Wolski wrist shot gave the Panthers a 1-0 lead in the first period, he tallied the lone shootout goal in a 3-2 comeback victory over the Canadiens.
… So Wolski’s had a hand in getting the Panthers six points to help pad their Southeast Division lead to five points over the sinking Capitals.
It does seem like Wolski’s had his helpful moments, but claiming that he’s had a significant part in Florida acquiring those six points is a bit much. In fact, his role in that success has very much been a “coincidence” in many cases.
Instead, it’s probably more accurate to say he’s played a big role in adding two extra points to the ledger with the aforementioned shootout tying and winning tallies. After all, how can you really make a difference in your four missed opportunities? Making the other goalie tired? Perhaps giving your fellow shootout partners a hint?
Now, while that does downgrade his accomplishments a bit, keep in mind that two points aren’t anything to sneeze at. If the Panthers didn’t have those, their Southeast Division lead would be cut down to three points – and that’s assuming everything would turn out the same otherwise.
(Doc Brown would remind you that might not have been the case.)
Oct 1, 2014, 11:20 PM EDT
He may begin 2014-15 banged up.
Oct 1, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
“The next few days will be the turning point,” GM Jim Rutherford said.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
The early word is that he’s OK, though.
Oct 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
It’s not as foolish as it sounds … maybe.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Worth a try.
Oct 1, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
According to fellow Swede and Red Wings forward Henrik Zetterberg.
Oct 1, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
One last chance for a tune-up.
Oct 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Where he’ll resume coaching duties for KHL Lokomotiv.
Oct 1, 2014, 4:01 PM EDT
Didn’t take advantage of their opportunities.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:46 PM EDT
Sounds like both will start the season at center.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Off to AHL Lake Erie they go.
Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
“We have not been in contact with the IOC and they have not been in touch with us.”
Oct 1, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT
Meaning all of Columbus’ No. 1 line — Jenner, Ryan Johansen and Nathan Horton — is now out of action.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
He won’t be ready for the season opener.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:33 PM EDT
Both have one-year, two-way contracts.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:26 PM EDT
And Zack Stortini has been placed on waivers.
Oct 1, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT
“You can tell a guy ‘don’t dive’, but even on our team we’ve seen a few of them.”
Oct 1, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Another veteran d-man, Nolan Yonkman, was also released.
Oct 1, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
“But we’ve talked and we’ll continue to talk about it.”
Oct 1, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
A rookie head coach, some significant roster turnover and the annual questions in goal.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)