Tie Domi says Toronto doesn’t play hard, arena has no atmosphere

Mar 28, 2012, 1:47 PM EDT

Tie Domi

Longtime NHL enforcer Tie Domi — he of the 3,515 penalty minutes — spent the majority of his playing career with the Toronto Maple Leafs, often saying he bled blue and white.

Thus explaining why he’s so disillusioned with the current state of the franchise.

“Nothing eats at me more inside than these guys not doing well,” Domi told the Toronto Star after attending the Leafs’ 3-0 loss to Carolina at the Air Canada Center. “When I sat down, it was a weird feeling. There was no atmosphere in the place.

“And I know why there’s no atmosphere. They’re out of the playoffs again. There’s nothing on the line. They haven’t made the playoffs for how long now?”

The answer, of course, is seven seasons — almost eight calendar years (that whole “lockout” thingy added to the futility.)

Domi was a member of the last Toronto team to make the postseason. So were Joe Nieuwendyk, Ed Belfour, Ron Francis and Brian Leetch — four guys that have since been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, as the Star’s Dave Feschuk astutely points out.

As such, Domi feels a special connection to the city come playoff time, and can’t believe the franchise hasn’t experienced postseason hockey for so long.

“I played in every one of those playoff games like it was my last,” Domi said. “I just don’t see that every shift from this team. I don’t see every guy playing hard every shift. They’ve got to start getting accountability in the room.”

Domi also shared his thoughts on a variety of other subjects, including Twitter.

“Twitter anything about our team — you should be fined,” he said. “My son is on the social media, but he’s 16.”

Quick piece for advice for Domi: Putting “the” in front of any technological innovation instantly makes you sound 78 years old. Not unlike when my grandma asked if part of my job involved “internetting.”

1. drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Nothing another sucker-punch of Ulf Samuelsson wouldn’t fix.

• habsman - Mar 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Says the fan of the biggest cheap shot, sucker punching team in the league.

• drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 3:57 PM

And there he is.

• drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Do the site a favor and go somewhere else.

• somekat - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:23 PM

replying to yourself is for winners!

• drewsylvania - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Seriously? You don’t see habsman’s comment in there? Might want to trim your eyebrows.

• somekat - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I saw one comment from him, and 2 from you

might want to trim you assholeness

• sabatimus - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Hey somekat–don’t try to hide the fact that you made a mistake.

2. mj2sexay - Mar 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I wonder if by play hard he means intentionally elbow people in the head when they aren’t looking.

3. philly4lyfe - Mar 28, 2012 at 5:08 PM

So the guy that double teamed Adam Burt of all people and then literally ran away from Luke Richardson is telling others they need to play harder. Talk about irony.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Mar 29, 2012 at 1:42 AM

You’re probably the hero who fell into the penalty box. Still mad at Tie for bloodying you I see.

4. crazemastercraze - Mar 28, 2012 at 7:29 PM

i guess blind siding scott nedimyer into the boards when he’s not looking and no where near the puck is considered “playing hard”….

• michiganhockey11 - Mar 29, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I guess having the stones to actually drop them with Probie make him incredibly stupid too right?

5. philly4lyfe - Mar 29, 2012 at 8:43 PM

How in the world can you have the slightest ounce of respect for someone that did that? First he ducks a fight with McCarthy, then he ducks a fight with berube. Then he goes throwing haymakers at a non-fighter that’s already engaged with someone else. Then he literally runs away from Richardson like a dog with his tail between his legs. Then he tries to pick a fight with a goalie. Then, after all that running away he did and doing whatever he could to avoid any even resembling an enforcer wearing orange and black, he has the nerve to skate by McCarthy saying he is all talk. I don’t care how many times he fought grimson, probert, twist etc. he loses all his credibility as a fighter from this with me. Dude is 100% joke. And I wish I had been that fan in the box with him, because I’d love the chance to tell him that to his face.

• michiganhockey11 - Mar 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM

As a chickensh!t move as it was to hide behind one of his one guys, if you were that fan in the box with him, you would have pissed yourself. Easy to say that not being that guy in the box.

6. philly4lyfe - Mar 30, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Unlikely. I’m close to twice his size and have had professional training since I work in law enforcement. I like my chances.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches