Mar 28, 2012, 2:20 PM EST
Some potentially disastrous news out of Buffalo today as Lindy Ruff told reporters Christian Ehrhoff will be out indefinitely with a knee injury.
“He’ll miss some time,” Ruff said, declining to specify if the injury was day-to-day or week-to-week. “It’ll be a period of time.”
Regardless of how much time Ehrhoff misses, this is a profound loss for Buffalo. The Sabres are 19-5-5 since Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr returned to the lineup in late January — no Sabre plays more than Ehrhoff (team-leading 23:03 per game) and no defenseman scores more (5G-27A-32PTS).
Ruff acknowledged the 29-year-old was playing a huge role for the Sabres.
“Christian has been logging a lot of minutes and been playing well for us, but every team has to deal with it,” he said. “We have to deal with it. We have to face a little bit of adversity, and we need players to step up, and I thought last night we did. Some guys played some big minutes and played well for us.”
Sabres.com reports that Mike Weber will replace Ehrhoff in the lineup. Weber has been a healthy scratch in the last four games and has only played 47 times this year after making 58 appearances a season ago.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)