Mar 28, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Some potentially disastrous news out of Buffalo today as Lindy Ruff told reporters Christian Ehrhoff will be out indefinitely with a knee injury.
“He’ll miss some time,” Ruff said, declining to specify if the injury was day-to-day or week-to-week. “It’ll be a period of time.”
Regardless of how much time Ehrhoff misses, this is a profound loss for Buffalo. The Sabres are 19-5-5 since Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr returned to the lineup in late January — no Sabre plays more than Ehrhoff (team-leading 23:03 per game) and no defenseman scores more (5G-27A-32PTS).
Ruff acknowledged the 29-year-old was playing a huge role for the Sabres.
“Christian has been logging a lot of minutes and been playing well for us, but every team has to deal with it,” he said. “We have to deal with it. We have to face a little bit of adversity, and we need players to step up, and I thought last night we did. Some guys played some big minutes and played well for us.”
Sabres.com reports that Mike Weber will replace Ehrhoff in the lineup. Weber has been a healthy scratch in the last four games and has only played 47 times this year after making 58 appearances a season ago.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)