Mar 28, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Some potentially disastrous news out of Buffalo today as Lindy Ruff told reporters Christian Ehrhoff will be out indefinitely with a knee injury.
“He’ll miss some time,” Ruff said, declining to specify if the injury was day-to-day or week-to-week. “It’ll be a period of time.”
Regardless of how much time Ehrhoff misses, this is a profound loss for Buffalo. The Sabres are 19-5-5 since Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr returned to the lineup in late January — no Sabre plays more than Ehrhoff (team-leading 23:03 per game) and no defenseman scores more (5G-27A-32PTS).
Ruff acknowledged the 29-year-old was playing a huge role for the Sabres.
“Christian has been logging a lot of minutes and been playing well for us, but every team has to deal with it,” he said. “We have to deal with it. We have to face a little bit of adversity, and we need players to step up, and I thought last night we did. Some guys played some big minutes and played well for us.”
Sabres.com reports that Mike Weber will replace Ehrhoff in the lineup. Weber has been a healthy scratch in the last four games and has only played 47 times this year after making 58 appearances a season ago.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 4
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 12
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 31
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 53
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)