Mar 28, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Some potentially disastrous news out of Buffalo today as Lindy Ruff told reporters Christian Ehrhoff will be out indefinitely with a knee injury.
“He’ll miss some time,” Ruff said, declining to specify if the injury was day-to-day or week-to-week. “It’ll be a period of time.”
Regardless of how much time Ehrhoff misses, this is a profound loss for Buffalo. The Sabres are 19-5-5 since Ehrhoff and Robyn Regehr returned to the lineup in late January — no Sabre plays more than Ehrhoff (team-leading 23:03 per game) and no defenseman scores more (5G-27A-32PTS).
Ruff acknowledged the 29-year-old was playing a huge role for the Sabres.
“Christian has been logging a lot of minutes and been playing well for us, but every team has to deal with it,” he said. “We have to deal with it. We have to face a little bit of adversity, and we need players to step up, and I thought last night we did. Some guys played some big minutes and played well for us.”
Sabres.com reports that Mike Weber will replace Ehrhoff in the lineup. Weber has been a healthy scratch in the last four games and has only played 47 times this year after making 58 appearances a season ago.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)