Mar 28, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
Could Marty Turco‘s time as a Boston Bruin soon be up?
Quite possibly, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
Haggerty spoke with injured Bruins netminder Tuukka Rask on Wednesday and learned the 22-year-old is eying a return to the lineup.
“I’d like to get in a game before season is over,” Rask said. “But to be ready for playoffs is the goal.”
Rask hasn’t played since Mar. 3 after suffering a groin/abdomen injury in a 3-2 loss to the Islanders. The injury was supposed to sideline him for 4-6 weeks, which forced Boston to sign Turco out of the Austrian League.
It’ll be interesting to see how Boston handles Rask’s return. The Bruins have six games remaining (they play every second night starting on Thursday) and have made no secret of their desire to rest Tim Thomas down the stretch.
Turco could be a viable option in the near future — after looking shaky in his first two appearances, he was solid in Sunday’s 3-2 win over Anaheim — but since Rask has to be the backup in the playoffs (Turco is postseason ineligible), he’ll need at least one game of work, possibly more.
Rask stated he wants back on the ice next week barring any unforeseen issues, meaning he could be ready to go for Boston’s final three games of the year against Pittsburgh, Ottawa and Buffalo.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 8
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 3
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)