Mar 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Stastny tells Mike Chambers of The Denver Post that the Avalanche, in spite of just being a point out of the eighth spot in the Western Conference, are in a must-win situation starting tonight against Vancouver.
“You have to win them all and hope for outcomes from other teams,” Stastny said. “We have to win (tonight) and have some luck go our way. All these teams we’re playing are tough teams. They’re all in the same race. Vancouver is playing for first place, and Calgary has a little chance. But (tonight) is a guaranteed must-win.”
For Colorado, their main focus is landing in either seventh or eighth and they’re one point back of the Stars and Coyotes for those spots.
Working against the Avs is that tonight’s game is one of four they have left. Much like the Flames last season, the teams they’re battling for the postseason with have a game or two in hand on them. Winning the rest of their games might be the only shot they have of making the playoffs.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5