Mar 28, 2012, 11:09 AM EDT
Stastny tells Mike Chambers of The Denver Post that the Avalanche, in spite of just being a point out of the eighth spot in the Western Conference, are in a must-win situation starting tonight against Vancouver.
“You have to win them all and hope for outcomes from other teams,” Stastny said. “We have to win (tonight) and have some luck go our way. All these teams we’re playing are tough teams. They’re all in the same race. Vancouver is playing for first place, and Calgary has a little chance. But (tonight) is a guaranteed must-win.”
For Colorado, their main focus is landing in either seventh or eighth and they’re one point back of the Stars and Coyotes for those spots.
Working against the Avs is that tonight’s game is one of four they have left. Much like the Flames last season, the teams they’re battling for the postseason with have a game or two in hand on them. Winning the rest of their games might be the only shot they have of making the playoffs.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 0
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 6
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)