Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports Backstrom will join the Caps on their trip to Boston to face the Bruins on Thursday night. Curious part of this is that the Caps’ “road trip” is just a one-game jaunt to Beantown.
Considering that Backstrom is now practicing with the team and the fact that the Capitals are now trailing the Sabres in the chase for the playoffs, getting Backstrom back sooner than later would give the team a major weapon to help them get back into eighth in the East.
Caps GM George McPhee said yesterday that it was up to Backstrom when he’s ready to come back and hitting the road with the team for a one game trip sure makes it seem like he’ll be ready to go against the Bruins. After all, why have him travel for one game when the Caps will back at home on Saturday night to play Montreal.
UPDATE (11:47 a.m.): Gormley reports coach Dale Hunter says Backstrom will not play against Boston.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)