Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 AM EDT
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports Backstrom will join the Caps on their trip to Boston to face the Bruins on Thursday night. Curious part of this is that the Caps’ “road trip” is just a one-game jaunt to Beantown.
Considering that Backstrom is now practicing with the team and the fact that the Capitals are now trailing the Sabres in the chase for the playoffs, getting Backstrom back sooner than later would give the team a major weapon to help them get back into eighth in the East.
Caps GM George McPhee said yesterday that it was up to Backstrom when he’s ready to come back and hitting the road with the team for a one game trip sure makes it seem like he’ll be ready to go against the Bruins. After all, why have him travel for one game when the Caps will back at home on Saturday night to play Montreal.
UPDATE (11:47 a.m.): Gormley reports coach Dale Hunter says Backstrom will not play against Boston.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 18
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 6
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 30
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)