Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports Backstrom will join the Caps on their trip to Boston to face the Bruins on Thursday night. Curious part of this is that the Caps’ “road trip” is just a one-game jaunt to Beantown.
Considering that Backstrom is now practicing with the team and the fact that the Capitals are now trailing the Sabres in the chase for the playoffs, getting Backstrom back sooner than later would give the team a major weapon to help them get back into eighth in the East.
Caps GM George McPhee said yesterday that it was up to Backstrom when he’s ready to come back and hitting the road with the team for a one game trip sure makes it seem like he’ll be ready to go against the Bruins. After all, why have him travel for one game when the Caps will back at home on Saturday night to play Montreal.
UPDATE (11:47 a.m.): Gormley reports coach Dale Hunter says Backstrom will not play against Boston.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)