Mar 28, 2012, 11:39 AM EST
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports Backstrom will join the Caps on their trip to Boston to face the Bruins on Thursday night. Curious part of this is that the Caps’ “road trip” is just a one-game jaunt to Beantown.
Considering that Backstrom is now practicing with the team and the fact that the Capitals are now trailing the Sabres in the chase for the playoffs, getting Backstrom back sooner than later would give the team a major weapon to help them get back into eighth in the East.
Caps GM George McPhee said yesterday that it was up to Backstrom when he’s ready to come back and hitting the road with the team for a one game trip sure makes it seem like he’ll be ready to go against the Bruins. After all, why have him travel for one game when the Caps will back at home on Saturday night to play Montreal.
UPDATE (11:47 a.m.): Gormley reports coach Dale Hunter says Backstrom will not play against Boston.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)