Mar 28, 2012, 6:39 PM EDT
For the first half of the season, Henrik Zetterberg looked nothing like his All-Star self.
For the second half, that’s all he’s looked like.
The 31-year-old Swede has been lights-out over the past 23 games, scoring 12G-19A-31PTS while igniting his linemates, Valtteri Filppula and Jiri Hudler. Zetterberg’s also a big reason why Detroit was able to muster an 11-9-3 record over that same 23-game stretch despite losing the likes of Nicklas Lidstrom, Pavel Datsyuk, Jimmy Howard, Johan Franzen, Darren Helm and Jonathan Ericsson to injury.
“He’s the best player on the ice right now, night in and night out,” defenseman Niklas Kronwall told MLive.com. “He’s making things happen every shift, whether that’s working hard offensively or defensively. Right now he’s playing unbelievable.
“That whole line has been great for us.”
As MLive’s Ansar Khan notes, the Zetterberg-Filppula-Hudler line has carried the Wings on many nights. Filppula has set career highs in goals (23) and points (24) while Hudler has rebounded from a bad 2010-11 campaign to score 23 times, tying a career-high. Both have played extremely well, but owe a large part of their success to Zetterberg’s play.
“[Zetterberg's] a competitive guy, but he’s skating so much better than he did at the start of the year,” coach Mike Babcock said. “Things are going for him. He’s got confidence. That line, to me, dominates every shift.”
While he’s probably not concerned about personal statistics, Zetterberg could escape some ignominy with a strong finish. He’s scored at least 70 points in every season since the lockout, save the 2006-07 campaign (missed 19 games with back spasms) and this year, he’s on 66 points…with six games left in the season.
“Pucks are going in, you get more confidence and you do more stuff that comes natural,” Zetterberg said. “Before you maybe think twice about doing stuff, but now it just happens.
“Hopefully it will continue.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 7
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 17
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 50
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)