Mar 28, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
The fun in goal for the Columbus Blue Jackets just jumped another level.
Starting goalie Steve Mason was injured this morning thanks to taking a shot off his head in practice and with the Blue Jackets only having backup goalie Allen York at their disposal, they were in desperate need of a goalie for tonight’s game against Detroit. The Columbus Dispatch’s Shawn Mitchell reports that the Blue Jackets have their answer in the form of University of Michigan goalie Shawn Hunwick.
Hunwick was signed to an amateur tryout deal and will back up York for tonight’s game. Depending on Mason’s health, it could turn into a full-fledged contract for the 5’7″ 166-pound goaltender.
Going from college to the pros immediately is something we’ve seen this year with St. Louis’ Jaden Schwartz and soon with Minnesota’s Jason Zucker, but playing goal is an entirely different monster.
As it is, York is the fourth-string goalie for the Blue Jackets, but thanks to injuries to Mark Dekanich and Curtis Sanford he was rushed to the show. Now Hunwick arrives as their fifth option. If you were wondering why the Jackets are the NHL’s worst team, it’s a mix of bad injury luck and bad management.
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 4
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 11
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 28
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 45
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 104
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (104)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)