Mar 28, 2012, 1:17 PM EDT
The fun in goal for the Columbus Blue Jackets just jumped another level.
Starting goalie Steve Mason was injured this morning thanks to taking a shot off his head in practice and with the Blue Jackets only having backup goalie Allen York at their disposal, they were in desperate need of a goalie for tonight’s game against Detroit. The Columbus Dispatch’s Shawn Mitchell reports that the Blue Jackets have their answer in the form of University of Michigan goalie Shawn Hunwick.
Hunwick was signed to an amateur tryout deal and will back up York for tonight’s game. Depending on Mason’s health, it could turn into a full-fledged contract for the 5’7″ 166-pound goaltender.
Going from college to the pros immediately is something we’ve seen this year with St. Louis’ Jaden Schwartz and soon with Minnesota’s Jason Zucker, but playing goal is an entirely different monster.
As it is, York is the fourth-string goalie for the Blue Jackets, but thanks to injuries to Mark Dekanich and Curtis Sanford he was rushed to the show. Now Hunwick arrives as their fifth option. If you were wondering why the Jackets are the NHL’s worst team, it’s a mix of bad injury luck and bad management.
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 0
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 0
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 26
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 46
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Blackhawks-Red Wings Game 3
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball