Mar 28, 2012, 10:47 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings carried a 16-20-3 road record into Columbus tonight, so it was no secret that the team isn’t very good on the road. Still, the Blue Jackets really put the team’s glaring weakness on display on NBC Sports Network tonight, soundly beating Detroit 4-2.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Vinny Prospal and Derek Dorsett built a 2-0 lead but Henrik Zetterbeg found the net on the power play to finish up the first period with a workable 2-1 deficit. It was the second period that really dropped some jaws, however, as Derick Brassard and R.J. Umberger scored about a minute and a half apart to make it 4-1.
Niklas Kronwall scored midway through the third to give Detroit a prayer, but it was still a pretty stunning testament to the Red Wings’ resounding home-road disparity.
The need for the fourth seed
One could argue that the Red Wings are a Stanley Cup powerhouse at Joe Louis Arena and a lottery team away from home.
With that in mind, this loss hurts most because it greatly reduces their lead over the Nashville Predators to one point for what could be an all-important home ice advantage in what looks to be the fourth vs. fifth seed matchup. It all sets up for an awfully interesting game against the Predators in (ominous music plays) Nashville on Friday.
It’s overly simplistic to say that Detroit or Nashville win automatically once they get the fourth seed – really, a 50 percent chance on the road plus high odds at home might just be enough for the Red Wings – but you’d be kidding yourself to say it doesn’t matter.
With the Blue Jackets firmly locked as the worst team in the NHL, they can spend the rest of the season embracing a spoiler role.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 1
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6