Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 PM EST
Strange story coming from Russia involving former NHL goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov.
It began with a report from news outlet RIA Novotsi that claimed police were searching for Shtalenkov after he went missing following a flight to Moscow. Shtalenkov, now a coach with Kontinental Hockey League outfit Metallurg Magnitogorsk, arrived in Moscow on Sunday and hadn’t been seen or head from since.
“An announcement was received from his spouse that Mikhail has gone missing,” an anonymous law official told RIA. “All necessary search and recovery measures are being taken.”
Then, a twist.
According to Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, another Russian news outlet — Lifenews.ru — reported that Shtalenkov was found alive. Though no further details were given, Chesnokov tweeted Shtalenkov had contacted his wife after seeing his name in the news.
The 42-year-old former netminder spent time with the Anaheim, Edmonton and Phoenix organizations from 1993-2000, appearing in a career-high 40 games with the Ducks in 1997-98.
Shtalenkov also backstopped the Unified Team at the 1992 Albertville Olympics to a gold medal, playing alongside the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Darius Kasparitis, Sergei Zubov, Alexei Zhamnov and Alexei Kovalev.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 39
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 86
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 81
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (81)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)