Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
Strange story coming from Russia involving former NHL goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov.
It began with a report from news outlet RIA Novotsi that claimed police were searching for Shtalenkov after he went missing following a flight to Moscow. Shtalenkov, now a coach with Kontinental Hockey League outfit Metallurg Magnitogorsk, arrived in Moscow on Sunday and hadn’t been seen or head from since.
“An announcement was received from his spouse that Mikhail has gone missing,” an anonymous law official told RIA. “All necessary search and recovery measures are being taken.”
Then, a twist.
According to Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, another Russian news outlet — Lifenews.ru — reported that Shtalenkov was found alive. Though no further details were given, Chesnokov tweeted Shtalenkov had contacted his wife after seeing his name in the news.
The 42-year-old former netminder spent time with the Anaheim, Edmonton and Phoenix organizations from 1993-2000, appearing in a career-high 40 games with the Ducks in 1997-98.
Shtalenkov also backstopped the Unified Team at the 1992 Albertville Olympics to a gold medal, playing alongside the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Darius Kasparitis, Sergei Zubov, Alexei Zhamnov and Alexei Kovalev.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 1
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)