Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
Strange story coming from Russia involving former NHL goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov.
It began with a report from news outlet RIA Novotsi that claimed police were searching for Shtalenkov after he went missing following a flight to Moscow. Shtalenkov, now a coach with Kontinental Hockey League outfit Metallurg Magnitogorsk, arrived in Moscow on Sunday and hadn’t been seen or head from since.
“An announcement was received from his spouse that Mikhail has gone missing,” an anonymous law official told RIA. “All necessary search and recovery measures are being taken.”
Then, a twist.
According to Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, another Russian news outlet — Lifenews.ru — reported that Shtalenkov was found alive. Though no further details were given, Chesnokov tweeted Shtalenkov had contacted his wife after seeing his name in the news.
The 42-year-old former netminder spent time with the Anaheim, Edmonton and Phoenix organizations from 1993-2000, appearing in a career-high 40 games with the Ducks in 1997-98.
Shtalenkov also backstopped the Unified Team at the 1992 Albertville Olympics to a gold medal, playing alongside the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Darius Kasparitis, Sergei Zubov, Alexei Zhamnov and Alexei Kovalev.
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 0
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 19
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)