Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 PM EST
Strange story coming from Russia involving former NHL goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov.
It began with a report from news outlet RIA Novotsi that claimed police were searching for Shtalenkov after he went missing following a flight to Moscow. Shtalenkov, now a coach with Kontinental Hockey League outfit Metallurg Magnitogorsk, arrived in Moscow on Sunday and hadn’t been seen or head from since.
“An announcement was received from his spouse that Mikhail has gone missing,” an anonymous law official told RIA. “All necessary search and recovery measures are being taken.”
Then, a twist.
According to Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, another Russian news outlet — Lifenews.ru — reported that Shtalenkov was found alive. Though no further details were given, Chesnokov tweeted Shtalenkov had contacted his wife after seeing his name in the news.
The 42-year-old former netminder spent time with the Anaheim, Edmonton and Phoenix organizations from 1993-2000, appearing in a career-high 40 games with the Ducks in 1997-98.
Shtalenkov also backstopped the Unified Team at the 1992 Albertville Olympics to a gold medal, playing alongside the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Darius Kasparitis, Sergei Zubov, Alexei Zhamnov and Alexei Kovalev.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 38
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)