Mar 27, 2012, 5:57 PM EDT
Strange story coming from Russia involving former NHL goalie Mikhail Shtalenkov.
It began with a report from news outlet RIA Novotsi that claimed police were searching for Shtalenkov after he went missing following a flight to Moscow. Shtalenkov, now a coach with Kontinental Hockey League outfit Metallurg Magnitogorsk, arrived in Moscow on Sunday and hadn’t been seen or head from since.
“An announcement was received from his spouse that Mikhail has gone missing,” an anonymous law official told RIA. “All necessary search and recovery measures are being taken.”
Then, a twist.
According to Puck Daddy/TSN contributor Dmitry Chesnokov, another Russian news outlet — Lifenews.ru — reported that Shtalenkov was found alive. Though no further details were given, Chesnokov tweeted Shtalenkov had contacted his wife after seeing his name in the news.
The 42-year-old former netminder spent time with the Anaheim, Edmonton and Phoenix organizations from 1993-2000, appearing in a career-high 40 games with the Ducks in 1997-98.
Shtalenkov also backstopped the Unified Team at the 1992 Albertville Olympics to a gold medal, playing alongside the likes of Alexei Zhitnik, Darius Kasparitis, Sergei Zubov, Alexei Zhamnov and Alexei Kovalev.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)