Mar 27, 2012, 6:32 PM EDT
There have been no extensive organizational conversations about shutting down Horton as of yet, but the B’s concussed power forward “[won’t be returning] anytime soon.”
With six games left in the regular season after Tuesday night’s tilt against the Tampa Bay Lightning, not much time is left for Horton attempt a comeback. And it doesn’t appear he will be attempting that comeback soon.
“[They] haven’t had those discussions yet, but it’s not too difficult to figure it out,” the source said when asked if the B’s have reached a point where it makes sense to shut down Horton for the year.
If he misses the rest of the regular season, Horton will have missed 30 games with what was first termed a “mild” concussion.
Horton’s been out of the Boston lineup since Jan. 22 after taking a blindside hit to the head from Philly’s Tom Sestito, suffering his second concussion in eight months. The “mild” diagnosis and lengthy recovery only speaks to how uncertain things can be following a concussion. In mid-February, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he “expected” Horton to come back — after Horton suffered a setback upon trying to skate.
(Note: Haggerty does mention the Bruins “have been much less firm in their statements as Horton’s recovery has flattened out.”)
If Horton is unable to return, it’ll be a blow to Boston’s Stanley Cup defense. The 26-year-old was a key contributor in last year’s playoffs, scoring 17 points in 21 games, including the game-winning goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)