Mar 27, 2012, 6:32 PM EST
There have been no extensive organizational conversations about shutting down Horton as of yet, but the B’s concussed power forward “[won’t be returning] anytime soon.”
With six games left in the regular season after Tuesday night’s tilt against the Tampa Bay Lightning, not much time is left for Horton attempt a comeback. And it doesn’t appear he will be attempting that comeback soon.
“[They] haven’t had those discussions yet, but it’s not too difficult to figure it out,” the source said when asked if the B’s have reached a point where it makes sense to shut down Horton for the year.
If he misses the rest of the regular season, Horton will have missed 30 games with what was first termed a “mild” concussion.
Horton’s been out of the Boston lineup since Jan. 22 after taking a blindside hit to the head from Philly’s Tom Sestito, suffering his second concussion in eight months. The “mild” diagnosis and lengthy recovery only speaks to how uncertain things can be following a concussion. In mid-February, Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli said he “expected” Horton to come back — after Horton suffered a setback upon trying to skate.
(Note: Haggerty does mention the Bruins “have been much less firm in their statements as Horton’s recovery has flattened out.”)
If Horton is unable to return, it’ll be a blow to Boston’s Stanley Cup defense. The 26-year-old was a key contributor in last year’s playoffs, scoring 17 points in 21 games, including the game-winning goal in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference final.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 0
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 2
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 20
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)