Mar 27, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest game on tonight’s schedule takes place in Washington where the Capitals and Sabres meet with sole possession of eighth place in the East on the line.
If you think the players aren’t looking at this game as a playoff-like match-up, you’re wrong. John Vogl of The Buffalo News sets the scene in D.C. with Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr who gives tonight’s game the appropriate hype.
“To say it’s a big game is an understatement,” Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr said Monday. “It’s the biggest game that we’ve faced all year.”
That it is and curiously enough it features a superstar on each side who started the season out poorly but are roaring to the finish and reminding everyone who they are. For Buffalo it’s all about Ryan Miller in goal. Miller’s second half of the season has been monstrous and has dragged the Sabres back into the playoff discussion.
Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin‘s efforts of late have not gone unnoticed. He’s in the midst of a five-game goal-scoring streak that’s seen him put seven on the board in that time. He has 10 goals in his last 10 games and the Caps have won six of those 10. He’s back to scoring highlight reel goals again and adding memorable celebrations on top of it.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6