Mar 27, 2012, 9:21 AM EST
Perhaps the biggest game on tonight’s schedule takes place in Washington where the Capitals and Sabres meet with sole possession of eighth place in the East on the line.
If you think the players aren’t looking at this game as a playoff-like match-up, you’re wrong. John Vogl of The Buffalo News sets the scene in D.C. with Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr who gives tonight’s game the appropriate hype.
“To say it’s a big game is an understatement,” Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr said Monday. “It’s the biggest game that we’ve faced all year.”
That it is and curiously enough it features a superstar on each side who started the season out poorly but are roaring to the finish and reminding everyone who they are. For Buffalo it’s all about Ryan Miller in goal. Miller’s second half of the season has been monstrous and has dragged the Sabres back into the playoff discussion.
Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin‘s efforts of late have not gone unnoticed. He’s in the midst of a five-game goal-scoring streak that’s seen him put seven on the board in that time. He has 10 goals in his last 10 games and the Caps have won six of those 10. He’s back to scoring highlight reel goals again and adding memorable celebrations on top of it.
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 0
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 5
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 8
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 54
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 75
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)