Mar 27, 2012, 9:21 AM EDT
Perhaps the biggest game on tonight’s schedule takes place in Washington where the Capitals and Sabres meet with sole possession of eighth place in the East on the line.
If you think the players aren’t looking at this game as a playoff-like match-up, you’re wrong. John Vogl of The Buffalo News sets the scene in D.C. with Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr who gives tonight’s game the appropriate hype.
“To say it’s a big game is an understatement,” Sabres defenseman Robyn Regehr said Monday. “It’s the biggest game that we’ve faced all year.”
That it is and curiously enough it features a superstar on each side who started the season out poorly but are roaring to the finish and reminding everyone who they are. For Buffalo it’s all about Ryan Miller in goal. Miller’s second half of the season has been monstrous and has dragged the Sabres back into the playoff discussion.
Meanwhile, Alex Ovechkin‘s efforts of late have not gone unnoticed. He’s in the midst of a five-game goal-scoring streak that’s seen him put seven on the board in that time. He has 10 goals in his last 10 games and the Caps have won six of those 10. He’s back to scoring highlight reel goals again and adding memorable celebrations on top of it.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)