Mar 27, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres might be on their way to a big win against the Washington Capitals (currently 3-1 midway through the second period), but they might suffer a big loss too. Hard-shooting free agent acquisition Christian Ehrhoff suffered a lower-body injury and Mike Harrington reports that he won’t return tonight.
If Sekera also misses the rest of Tuesday’s game, that means the Sabres will only have four blueliners on hand to hold off a desperate Capitals team with that 3-1 lead and a daunting 30 minutes remaining.
To make matters worse, it appears that troublemaker-forward Patrick Kaleta aggravated a right thumb injury by blocking a shot. The Sabres are positively dropping like flies on Tuesday.
The winner of tonight’s game will have at least a temporary hold lead on the eighth spot in the East, which is looking more and more like a two-horse race between the two teams. Losing Ehrhoff and/or Sekera for an extended period of time certainly won’t make that race easier for Buffalo.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 2
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 20
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 28
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)