Mar 27, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres might be on their way to a big win against the Washington Capitals (currently 3-1 midway through the second period), but they might suffer a big loss too. Hard-shooting free agent acquisition Christian Ehrhoff suffered a lower-body injury and Mike Harrington reports that he won’t return tonight.
If Sekera also misses the rest of Tuesday’s game, that means the Sabres will only have four blueliners on hand to hold off a desperate Capitals team with that 3-1 lead and a daunting 30 minutes remaining.
To make matters worse, it appears that troublemaker-forward Patrick Kaleta aggravated a right thumb injury by blocking a shot. The Sabres are positively dropping like flies on Tuesday.
The winner of tonight’s game will have at least a temporary hold lead on the eighth spot in the East, which is looking more and more like a two-horse race between the two teams. Losing Ehrhoff and/or Sekera for an extended period of time certainly won’t make that race easier for Buffalo.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)