Mar 27, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs haven’t won a home game since Feb. 6 when they beat Edmonton, 6-3, to improve their record to 28-19-6.
Ah, those were the days. The Leafs sat 7th in the Eastern Conference, four points clear of a playoff spot and looking forward to their first postseason since before the lockout.
And then this happened:
Toronto hosts Carolina tonight, and with nothing but pride on the line, coach Randy Carlyle wants his team to play with a bit more…um…pride.
“That’s what we’ve asked of our players is we have to demonstrate some more will, pride, passion, whatever, because it’s gone on long enough,” Carlyle said Tuesday morning, as reported by the Globe and Mail.
“That’s what we’re going to ask of our players – that they are the ones [who have to change it]. And we as a coaching staff have to find a way to motivate this group to play to a higher level. It has to start tonight.”
And then Carlyle made everyone watch this clip from Cool Runnings:
I see pride. I see power. I see…sigh…Luke Schenn turning the puck over again.
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 5
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 28
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 87
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 35
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 60
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 98
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 31
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (98)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (87)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months