Canucks’ Ballard on concussion: “I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day”

Mar 27, 2012, 1:01 PM EST

Keith Ballard

While Vancouver isn’t offering much detail about the concussion suffered by Daniel Sedin, the club did allow defenseman Keith Ballard to speak about his concussion — one that’s kept him out of the lineup since Feb. 7.

Based on what the 29-year-old rearguard had to say, it hasn’t been good.

“I had a lot of different stuff,” Ballard told the Vancouver Sun. “I had dizziness and a lot of headaches during the day. I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day and, when I tried to do some light workouts, I ended up getting real sick and I’d be in bed for four days.

“By around the end of February, we almost had no choice but to just shut me down and not do anything. At that point, I couldn’t get through a day without a lot of symptoms.”

Ballard thinks he suffered the concussion during Vancouver’s Feb. 5 game against Colorado, but didn’t start experiencing symptoms until playing against Nashville two nights later. He’s been off the ice ever since, only rejoining the team for the morning skate prior to Monday’s 1-0 victory over Los Angeles.

“Day 1 was today so I’ve got a ways to go,” he said. “I missed a month and a bit. It’s good to get back on the ice with the team but, as far as anything else goes, I’m not looking too far forward.

“I’ve been skating for a little bit over a week, at first just on my own and then with a couple of guys who stayed back on the road trip,” he continued. “Before that, I had a few bike rides and a few workouts. Now I need to get in some good practices with the team and get some contact. That’s the one thing I haven’t had at all.”

Ballard has played in 47 games this year (1G-6A-7PTS), averaging over 15 minutes of ice time.

1. davefelt15 - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I think that a concussion is one of the worst injuries a player can sustain in hockey because each instance must be treated differently. For example; Kris Letang’s first concussion this year caused him to be out 15 games, where as his second only caused him to miss 5. Anytime you see you teams star go down on the ice because of a hit to the head your heart sinks, trust me, this is coming from a Pittsburgh fan. We can only hope that Sedin’s concussion is not as serious as Ballard’s

2. davebabychreturns - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Sounds like a rough one for Ballard. This seems to be another case where a concussion was missed and recovery was compromised, either because the player sustained another (Willie Mitchell, Sid Crosby) or because the player simply tried to play through with no success (Chris Pronger).

It doesn’t bode well for Ballard, hopefully he is past the worst of it and is able to get back at some point during the playoffs.

• sknut - Mar 27, 2012 at 1:55 PM

It seems there is a variance for how soon the symptoms start and when your playing back to backs or every other day and such it can be tough to diagnose when it started and how much more damage the player suffered by being out there. I hope he gets well, thats no fun for anybody.

3. hibackhand - Mar 27, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I keep wondering how the heck did guys play through this stuff in the old days? Heavy drug use?

• loinstache - Mar 27, 2012 at 5:06 PM

Moustaches, mostly.

• danphipps01 - Mar 27, 2012 at 9:54 PM

^ Comment of the year.

• comeonnowguys - Mar 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

4. vanchuk - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:04 PM

“I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day and, when I tried to do some light workouts, I ended up getting real sick and I’d be in bed for four days.”

PHT staff health plan sees immediate increase in visits to concussion specialists.

Halford’s first time putting on pants and venturing outside mom’s basement in months

• taytay099 - Mar 27, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I heard he suffered his concussion after a severe face palming incident during game 7. Probably after the 4th goal. (Just speculating)

5. paledevil - Mar 28, 2012 at 12:15 AM

still rem sleep is the best natural reset…

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches