Mar 27, 2012, 1:01 PM EST
While Vancouver isn’t offering much detail about the concussion suffered by Daniel Sedin, the club did allow defenseman Keith Ballard to speak about his concussion — one that’s kept him out of the lineup since Feb. 7.
Based on what the 29-year-old rearguard had to say, it hasn’t been good.
“I had a lot of different stuff,” Ballard told the Vancouver Sun. “I had dizziness and a lot of headaches during the day. I was sleeping 16-18 hours a day and, when I tried to do some light workouts, I ended up getting real sick and I’d be in bed for four days.
“By around the end of February, we almost had no choice but to just shut me down and not do anything. At that point, I couldn’t get through a day without a lot of symptoms.”
Ballard thinks he suffered the concussion during Vancouver’s Feb. 5 game against Colorado, but didn’t start experiencing symptoms until playing against Nashville two nights later. He’s been off the ice ever since, only rejoining the team for the morning skate prior to Monday’s 1-0 victory over Los Angeles.
“Day 1 was today so I’ve got a ways to go,” he said. “I missed a month and a bit. It’s good to get back on the ice with the team but, as far as anything else goes, I’m not looking too far forward.
“I’ve been skating for a little bit over a week, at first just on my own and then with a couple of guys who stayed back on the road trip,” he continued. “Before that, I had a few bike rides and a few workouts. Now I need to get in some good practices with the team and get some contact. That’s the one thing I haven’t had at all.”
Ballard has played in 47 games this year (1G-6A-7PTS), averaging over 15 minutes of ice time.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 14
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)