Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Some potentially troublesome news for the Flyers — todays’ MRI on the foot of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has revealed a chip fracture.
The Philly team website says the injury will keep Bryzgalov from playing in Thursday’s game against Toronto; he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The injury likely occurred during Monday’s 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay, which was Bryzgalov’s 19th appearance in the last 20 games. We say “likely” because the Flyers organization was tight-lipped about the injury — following the game GM Paul Holmgren told Philly.com Bryzgalov was fine, despite the fact Bryz was walking with a limp.
(Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer said Bryzgalov may have gotten hit on the leg during warmups.)
So, how will the Flyers handle the injury? The most obvious answer is to hand the reigns to backup Sergei Bobrovksy, who has been collecting mothballs for most of March — but that depends on what the Flyers want to accomplish. While they seem likely to finish fifth in the East, they are only four points back of Pittsburgh for fourth (and the home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Philly has two more games against the Penguins on Sunday, Apr. 1 and Sat. Apr. 7 — the latter being the season finale.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)