Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Some potentially troublesome news for the Flyers — todays’ MRI on the foot of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has revealed a chip fracture.
The Philly team website says the injury will keep Bryzgalov from playing in Thursday’s game against Toronto; he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The injury likely occurred during Monday’s 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay, which was Bryzgalov’s 19th appearance in the last 20 games. We say “likely” because the Flyers organization was tight-lipped about the injury — following the game GM Paul Holmgren told Philly.com Bryzgalov was fine, despite the fact Bryz was walking with a limp.
(Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer said Bryzgalov may have gotten hit on the leg during warmups.)
So, how will the Flyers handle the injury? The most obvious answer is to hand the reigns to backup Sergei Bobrovksy, who has been collecting mothballs for most of March — but that depends on what the Flyers want to accomplish. While they seem likely to finish fifth in the East, they are only four points back of Pittsburgh for fourth (and the home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Philly has two more games against the Penguins on Sunday, Apr. 1 and Sat. Apr. 7 — the latter being the season finale.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)