Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Some potentially troublesome news for the Flyers — todays’ MRI on the foot of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has revealed a chip fracture.
The Philly team website says the injury will keep Bryzgalov from playing in Thursday’s game against Toronto; he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The injury likely occurred during Monday’s 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay, which was Bryzgalov’s 19th appearance in the last 20 games. We say “likely” because the Flyers organization was tight-lipped about the injury — following the game GM Paul Holmgren told Philly.com Bryzgalov was fine, despite the fact Bryz was walking with a limp.
(Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer said Bryzgalov may have gotten hit on the leg during warmups.)
So, how will the Flyers handle the injury? The most obvious answer is to hand the reigns to backup Sergei Bobrovksy, who has been collecting mothballs for most of March — but that depends on what the Flyers want to accomplish. While they seem likely to finish fifth in the East, they are only four points back of Pittsburgh for fourth (and the home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Philly has two more games against the Penguins on Sunday, Apr. 1 and Sat. Apr. 7 — the latter being the season finale.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (42)