Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Some potentially troublesome news for the Flyers — todays’ MRI on the foot of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has revealed a chip fracture.
The Philly team website says the injury will keep Bryzgalov from playing in Thursday’s game against Toronto; he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The injury likely occurred during Monday’s 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay, which was Bryzgalov’s 19th appearance in the last 20 games. We say “likely” because the Flyers organization was tight-lipped about the injury — following the game GM Paul Holmgren told Philly.com Bryzgalov was fine, despite the fact Bryz was walking with a limp.
(Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer said Bryzgalov may have gotten hit on the leg during warmups.)
So, how will the Flyers handle the injury? The most obvious answer is to hand the reigns to backup Sergei Bobrovksy, who has been collecting mothballs for most of March — but that depends on what the Flyers want to accomplish. While they seem likely to finish fifth in the East, they are only four points back of Pittsburgh for fourth (and the home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Philly has two more games against the Penguins on Sunday, Apr. 1 and Sat. Apr. 7 — the latter being the season finale.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)