Mar 27, 2012, 3:41 PM EST
Some potentially troublesome news for the Flyers — todays’ MRI on the foot of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov has revealed a chip fracture.
The Philly team website says the injury will keep Bryzgalov from playing in Thursday’s game against Toronto; he is currently listed as day-to-day.
The injury likely occurred during Monday’s 5-3 loss to Tampa Bay, which was Bryzgalov’s 19th appearance in the last 20 games. We say “likely” because the Flyers organization was tight-lipped about the injury — following the game GM Paul Holmgren told Philly.com Bryzgalov was fine, despite the fact Bryz was walking with a limp.
(Sam Carchidi of the Philly Inquirer said Bryzgalov may have gotten hit on the leg during warmups.)
So, how will the Flyers handle the injury? The most obvious answer is to hand the reigns to backup Sergei Bobrovksy, who has been collecting mothballs for most of March — but that depends on what the Flyers want to accomplish. While they seem likely to finish fifth in the East, they are only four points back of Pittsburgh for fourth (and the home-ice advantage that comes with it).
Philly has two more games against the Penguins on Sunday, Apr. 1 and Sat. Apr. 7 — the latter being the season finale.
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 0
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)