Mar 27, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Even though he’s been a catalyst for New Jersey’s playoff push and was hardly to blame for Sunday’s 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh, Devils goalie Martin Brodeur still feels his game needs improvement as the postseason draws near.
“These are the things in which I look to try to be more consistent,” Brodeur told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Try to be good every night. I feel good. I feel like I’m making the big saves, but there are a couple goals here and there that you’d like to have back.
“We don’t have the luxury right now to give up these goals.”
“These goals” is in reference to the opening marker Pittsburgh scored on Brodeur:
Brodeur’s comments are likely a byproduct of two things. One, he’s right — a goal like that can’t be surrendered at such a crucial stage of the season.
Two, the 39-year-old knows that if his team wants to make noise this postseason, he’ll need to be razor sharp. The Devils will likely be underdogs against whomever they draw in the opening round and given their current goalscoring woes — New Jersey has 10 goals in its last seven games — one mistake by Brodeur could be the difference between winning and losing.
“That was the first time this year it really happened for me and it came as a bad time,” he said of the Penguins goal. “I know I’ll make mistakes and, trust me, I’ll be back there tomorrow. I’m not going to be afraid to do it. I’ve been around so long to know what to do to play my game.
“But you make mistakes at the (wrong) time against the wrong teams it gets magnified a little bit. I know I should be better than that.”
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny 0
- In praise of the Hamburglar 13
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52