Mar 27, 2012, 12:14 PM EST
Even though he’s been a catalyst for New Jersey’s playoff push and was hardly to blame for Sunday’s 5-2 loss to Pittsburgh, Devils goalie Martin Brodeur still feels his game needs improvement as the postseason draws near.
“These are the things in which I look to try to be more consistent,” Brodeur told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “Try to be good every night. I feel good. I feel like I’m making the big saves, but there are a couple goals here and there that you’d like to have back.
“We don’t have the luxury right now to give up these goals.”
“These goals” is in reference to the opening marker Pittsburgh scored on Brodeur:
Brodeur’s comments are likely a byproduct of two things. One, he’s right — a goal like that can’t be surrendered at such a crucial stage of the season.
Two, the 39-year-old knows that if his team wants to make noise this postseason, he’ll need to be razor sharp. The Devils will likely be underdogs against whomever they draw in the opening round and given their current goalscoring woes — New Jersey has 10 goals in its last seven games — one mistake by Brodeur could be the difference between winning and losing.
“That was the first time this year it really happened for me and it came as a bad time,” he said of the Penguins goal. “I know I’ll make mistakes and, trust me, I’ll be back there tomorrow. I’m not going to be afraid to do it. I’ve been around so long to know what to do to play my game.
“But you make mistakes at the (wrong) time against the wrong teams it gets magnified a little bit. I know I should be better than that.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)