Mar 26, 2012, 9:27 AM EST
An apparent third period goal from Ducks forward Matt Beleskey was ultimately waved off because officials Brad Watson and Rob Martell convened and felt Andrew Cogliano interfered with Marty Turco‘s ability to make a save. That goal would’ve tied the game at 2-2. The Bruins went on to win 3-1.
After the game, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register heard from Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau who kept his comments short and to the point about what happened.
“What do you want me to say? It was a horse(bleep) call. There was no explanation given to me. None.”
All right, so he had a bit more to say to Jeff Miller of the OC Register.
Asked what Martell told him by way of explanation, Boudreau, who confronted the official near the bench, said, “Well, I didn’t really give him much of a chance to say too much. I was ready to hit him.”
That should go over well with the league. As for the play, have a look at it yourself.
As it turns out, according to the letter of the law in the rule book, the Ducks are in the wrong. Rule 69 (yes, seriously) of the NHL rule book says that Cogliano, by virtue of being in the crease, kept Turco from being able to make a play on the puck.
If we’re going to stick to the rules that closely from here on out, I think we can expect a few more penalties to be called the rest of the way, right? Sure.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 20
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 60
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5