Mar 26, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
An apparent third period goal from Ducks forward Matt Beleskey was ultimately waved off because officials Brad Watson and Rob Martell convened and felt Andrew Cogliano interfered with Marty Turco‘s ability to make a save. That goal would’ve tied the game at 2-2. The Bruins went on to win 3-1.
After the game, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register heard from Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau who kept his comments short and to the point about what happened.
“What do you want me to say? It was a horse(bleep) call. There was no explanation given to me. None.”
All right, so he had a bit more to say to Jeff Miller of the OC Register.
Asked what Martell told him by way of explanation, Boudreau, who confronted the official near the bench, said, “Well, I didn’t really give him much of a chance to say too much. I was ready to hit him.”
That should go over well with the league. As for the play, have a look at it yourself.
As it turns out, according to the letter of the law in the rule book, the Ducks are in the wrong. Rule 69 (yes, seriously) of the NHL rule book says that Cogliano, by virtue of being in the crease, kept Turco from being able to make a play on the puck.
If we’re going to stick to the rules that closely from here on out, I think we can expect a few more penalties to be called the rest of the way, right? Sure.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 11
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 17
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22