Mar 26, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
An apparent third period goal from Ducks forward Matt Beleskey was ultimately waved off because officials Brad Watson and Rob Martell convened and felt Andrew Cogliano interfered with Marty Turco‘s ability to make a save. That goal would’ve tied the game at 2-2. The Bruins went on to win 3-1.
After the game, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register heard from Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau who kept his comments short and to the point about what happened.
“What do you want me to say? It was a horse(bleep) call. There was no explanation given to me. None.”
All right, so he had a bit more to say to Jeff Miller of the OC Register.
Asked what Martell told him by way of explanation, Boudreau, who confronted the official near the bench, said, “Well, I didn’t really give him much of a chance to say too much. I was ready to hit him.”
That should go over well with the league. As for the play, have a look at it yourself.
As it turns out, according to the letter of the law in the rule book, the Ducks are in the wrong. Rule 69 (yes, seriously) of the NHL rule book says that Cogliano, by virtue of being in the crease, kept Turco from being able to make a play on the puck.
If we’re going to stick to the rules that closely from here on out, I think we can expect a few more penalties to be called the rest of the way, right? Sure.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 6
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)