Mar 26, 2012, 9:27 AM EDT
An apparent third period goal from Ducks forward Matt Beleskey was ultimately waved off because officials Brad Watson and Rob Martell convened and felt Andrew Cogliano interfered with Marty Turco‘s ability to make a save. That goal would’ve tied the game at 2-2. The Bruins went on to win 3-1.
After the game, Eric Stephens of the Orange County Register heard from Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau who kept his comments short and to the point about what happened.
“What do you want me to say? It was a horse(bleep) call. There was no explanation given to me. None.”
All right, so he had a bit more to say to Jeff Miller of the OC Register.
Asked what Martell told him by way of explanation, Boudreau, who confronted the official near the bench, said, “Well, I didn’t really give him much of a chance to say too much. I was ready to hit him.”
That should go over well with the league. As for the play, have a look at it yourself.
As it turns out, according to the letter of the law in the rule book, the Ducks are in the wrong. Rule 69 (yes, seriously) of the NHL rule book says that Cogliano, by virtue of being in the crease, kept Turco from being able to make a play on the puck.
If we’re going to stick to the rules that closely from here on out, I think we can expect a few more penalties to be called the rest of the way, right? Sure.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)