Mar 26, 2012, 1:06 PM EDT
Last week, Vancouver Police Department Chief Jim Chu declared the city’s anti-riot philosophy for this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs would be “don’t come downtown.”
The new philosophy was markedly different than last year’s, which was “get wasted, come downtown and we’ll cram everyone into a city block and hope for the best.”
But presumably the new plan didn’t sit well with downtown businesses that cash in during the playoffs, so Chu clarified his comments over the weekend – it’s okay to come downtown, but only if you behave yourselves.
Tough but fair.
“At all times and during the hockey playoffs, the Vancouver Police are encouraging people to come downtown to enjoy our bars, restaurants, arenas, theaters, shopping and street ambience. Our focus is to make it safe for you to enjoy our city. You are not welcome in Vancouver if you intend to engage in public drinking, hooliganism and criminal behavior,” Chu said in a statement.
Hooligans and criminals have yet to respond to repeated requests for comment.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)