Mar 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
Some bad news out of the Canadian capital today — reports claim Senators goalie Ben Bishop will miss at least a week with a groin injury.
The injury occurred during Ottawa’s 8-4 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday. Bishop landed awkwardly after making a save midway through the second period and was replaced by Craig Anderson:
Bishop allowed three goals up to that point, but had faced 20 shots — he was on pace for a rather busy evening with the Penguins pushing hard to equalize.
What the injury means for Ottawa remains to be seen. The Sens had been reliant on Bishop while Anderson was out with a lacerated hand…and were still reliant on Bishop after Anderson returned.
The tallest goalie in NHL history relieved Anderson in Friday’s 5-1 loss to Montreal and earned enough of head coach Paul MacLean’s trust to get the start against Pittsburgh on Saturday, which was a huge game (Ottawa had lost three straight and was just two points out of eighth in the East coming in.)
Looking ahead, the Senators will play twice this week — tonight at Winnipeg, Saturday at Philadelphia — before closing out the year with four games in six nights against the Islanders, Hurricanes, Bruins and Devils.
Update: Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes tweets that Bishop’s “lower body injury” will keep him out “for a couple of weeks” — as per MacLean.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)