Mar 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Some bad news out of the Canadian capital today — reports claim Senators goalie Ben Bishop will miss at least a week with a groin injury.
The injury occurred during Ottawa’s 8-4 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday. Bishop landed awkwardly after making a save midway through the second period and was replaced by Craig Anderson:
Bishop allowed three goals up to that point, but had faced 20 shots — he was on pace for a rather busy evening with the Penguins pushing hard to equalize.
What the injury means for Ottawa remains to be seen. The Sens had been reliant on Bishop while Anderson was out with a lacerated hand…and were still reliant on Bishop after Anderson returned.
The tallest goalie in NHL history relieved Anderson in Friday’s 5-1 loss to Montreal and earned enough of head coach Paul MacLean’s trust to get the start against Pittsburgh on Saturday, which was a huge game (Ottawa had lost three straight and was just two points out of eighth in the East coming in.)
Looking ahead, the Senators will play twice this week — tonight at Winnipeg, Saturday at Philadelphia — before closing out the year with four games in six nights against the Islanders, Hurricanes, Bruins and Devils.
Update: Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes tweets that Bishop’s “lower body injury” will keep him out “for a couple of weeks” — as per MacLean.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)