Mar 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
Some bad news out of the Canadian capital today — reports claim Senators goalie Ben Bishop will miss at least a week with a groin injury.
The injury occurred during Ottawa’s 8-4 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday. Bishop landed awkwardly after making a save midway through the second period and was replaced by Craig Anderson:
Bishop allowed three goals up to that point, but had faced 20 shots — he was on pace for a rather busy evening with the Penguins pushing hard to equalize.
What the injury means for Ottawa remains to be seen. The Sens had been reliant on Bishop while Anderson was out with a lacerated hand…and were still reliant on Bishop after Anderson returned.
The tallest goalie in NHL history relieved Anderson in Friday’s 5-1 loss to Montreal and earned enough of head coach Paul MacLean’s trust to get the start against Pittsburgh on Saturday, which was a huge game (Ottawa had lost three straight and was just two points out of eighth in the East coming in.)
Looking ahead, the Senators will play twice this week — tonight at Winnipeg, Saturday at Philadelphia — before closing out the year with four games in six nights against the Islanders, Hurricanes, Bruins and Devils.
Update: Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes tweets that Bishop’s “lower body injury” will keep him out “for a couple of weeks” — as per MacLean.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)