Mar 26, 2012, 1:10 PM EST
Some bad news out of the Canadian capital today — reports claim Senators goalie Ben Bishop will miss at least a week with a groin injury.
The injury occurred during Ottawa’s 8-4 win over Pittsburgh on Saturday. Bishop landed awkwardly after making a save midway through the second period and was replaced by Craig Anderson:
Bishop allowed three goals up to that point, but had faced 20 shots — he was on pace for a rather busy evening with the Penguins pushing hard to equalize.
What the injury means for Ottawa remains to be seen. The Sens had been reliant on Bishop while Anderson was out with a lacerated hand…and were still reliant on Bishop after Anderson returned.
The tallest goalie in NHL history relieved Anderson in Friday’s 5-1 loss to Montreal and earned enough of head coach Paul MacLean’s trust to get the start against Pittsburgh on Saturday, which was a huge game (Ottawa had lost three straight and was just two points out of eighth in the East coming in.)
Looking ahead, the Senators will play twice this week — tonight at Winnipeg, Saturday at Philadelphia — before closing out the year with four games in six nights against the Islanders, Hurricanes, Bruins and Devils.
Update: Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes tweets that Bishop’s “lower body injury” will keep him out “for a couple of weeks” — as per MacLean.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)