Mar 26, 2012, 12:23 PM EST
With nine goals in his last nine games, Alex Ovechkin‘s had plenty of opportunity to celebrate goals lately.
But as the Washington Post points out, it’s one particular celebration that’s making waves:
The Belly Pat.
Alex Ovechkin is looking a lot more like his two-time MVP winning self — but with one notable difference.
Instead of treating Verizon Center fans to the patented hurling-the-body-into-the-boards goal celebration on Sunday in a 3-0 win over Minnesota, Washington’s star left wing again displayed his new belly-pat move after his wrister in the third period.
Ovechkin debuted the new celebration Thursday in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to know where it came from.
The Post’s Tarik El-Bashir asked about it Sunday, but the Capitals’ captain laughed it off: “Nothing. I do it before, I think.”
Cheers to Caps blog Russian Machine Never Breaks for pointing out that Ovi’s gone belly-pat after each of his last five goals. And jeers to Dustin Penner for not thinking of this first.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2