Mar 26, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
With nine goals in his last nine games, Alex Ovechkin‘s had plenty of opportunity to celebrate goals lately.
But as the Washington Post points out, it’s one particular celebration that’s making waves:
The Belly Pat.
Alex Ovechkin is looking a lot more like his two-time MVP winning self — but with one notable difference.
Instead of treating Verizon Center fans to the patented hurling-the-body-into-the-boards goal celebration on Sunday in a 3-0 win over Minnesota, Washington’s star left wing again displayed his new belly-pat move after his wrister in the third period.
Ovechkin debuted the new celebration Thursday in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to know where it came from.
The Post’s Tarik El-Bashir asked about it Sunday, but the Capitals’ captain laughed it off: “Nothing. I do it before, I think.”
Cheers to Caps blog Russian Machine Never Breaks for pointing out that Ovi’s gone belly-pat after each of his last five goals. And jeers to Dustin Penner for not thinking of this first.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)