Mar 26, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
With nine goals in his last nine games, Alex Ovechkin‘s had plenty of opportunity to celebrate goals lately.
But as the Washington Post points out, it’s one particular celebration that’s making waves:
The Belly Pat.
Alex Ovechkin is looking a lot more like his two-time MVP winning self — but with one notable difference.
Instead of treating Verizon Center fans to the patented hurling-the-body-into-the-boards goal celebration on Sunday in a 3-0 win over Minnesota, Washington’s star left wing again displayed his new belly-pat move after his wrister in the third period.
Ovechkin debuted the new celebration Thursday in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to know where it came from.
The Post’s Tarik El-Bashir asked about it Sunday, but the Capitals’ captain laughed it off: “Nothing. I do it before, I think.”
Cheers to Caps blog Russian Machine Never Breaks for pointing out that Ovi’s gone belly-pat after each of his last five goals. And jeers to Dustin Penner for not thinking of this first.
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)