Mar 26, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
With nine goals in his last nine games, Alex Ovechkin‘s had plenty of opportunity to celebrate goals lately.
But as the Washington Post points out, it’s one particular celebration that’s making waves:
The Belly Pat.
Alex Ovechkin is looking a lot more like his two-time MVP winning self — but with one notable difference.
Instead of treating Verizon Center fans to the patented hurling-the-body-into-the-boards goal celebration on Sunday in a 3-0 win over Minnesota, Washington’s star left wing again displayed his new belly-pat move after his wrister in the third period.
Ovechkin debuted the new celebration Thursday in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to know where it came from.
The Post’s Tarik El-Bashir asked about it Sunday, but the Capitals’ captain laughed it off: “Nothing. I do it before, I think.”
Cheers to Caps blog Russian Machine Never Breaks for pointing out that Ovi’s gone belly-pat after each of his last five goals. And jeers to Dustin Penner for not thinking of this first.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8