Mar 26, 2012, 12:23 PM EDT
With nine goals in his last nine games, Alex Ovechkin‘s had plenty of opportunity to celebrate goals lately.
But as the Washington Post points out, it’s one particular celebration that’s making waves:
The Belly Pat.
Alex Ovechkin is looking a lot more like his two-time MVP winning self — but with one notable difference.
Instead of treating Verizon Center fans to the patented hurling-the-body-into-the-boards goal celebration on Sunday in a 3-0 win over Minnesota, Washington’s star left wing again displayed his new belly-pat move after his wrister in the third period.
Ovechkin debuted the new celebration Thursday in Philadelphia, but nobody seems to know where it came from.
The Post’s Tarik El-Bashir asked about it Sunday, but the Capitals’ captain laughed it off: “Nothing. I do it before, I think.”
Cheers to Caps blog Russian Machine Never Breaks for pointing out that Ovi’s gone belly-pat after each of his last five goals. And jeers to Dustin Penner for not thinking of this first.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)