Mar 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
Extra! Extra! Alex Ovechkin makes good defensive play!
Washington had a 1-0 lead and a power play with the chance to put the offensively challenged Wild away. But when the puck bounced out to defenseman Dennis Wideman, he turned into a pylon as Minnesota forwards Mikko Koivu and Cal Clutterbuck streaked up the ice.
It was a two-on-one with Ovechkin as the one, usually a recipe for trouble. But Ovechkin didn’t quit on the play, poking the puck away from Koivu and preventing what could have been a momentum-turning short-handed goal.
Ovi’s commitment to defense has come under fire many times in the past – in fact, it came under fire Friday after Winnipeg scored in overtime (video). So while we’re not sure it’s a good thing that not quitting on a play earns a story in the newspaper…um…congratulations?
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 59
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination