Mar 26, 2012, 1:49 PM EST
Extra! Extra! Alex Ovechkin makes good defensive play!
Washington had a 1-0 lead and a power play with the chance to put the offensively challenged Wild away. But when the puck bounced out to defenseman Dennis Wideman, he turned into a pylon as Minnesota forwards Mikko Koivu and Cal Clutterbuck streaked up the ice.
It was a two-on-one with Ovechkin as the one, usually a recipe for trouble. But Ovechkin didn’t quit on the play, poking the puck away from Koivu and preventing what could have been a momentum-turning short-handed goal.
Ovi’s commitment to defense has come under fire many times in the past – in fact, it came under fire Friday after Winnipeg scored in overtime (video). So while we’re not sure it’s a good thing that not quitting on a play earns a story in the newspaper…um…congratulations?
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)