Mar 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Remember how fun it was when the Rangers called up Mats Zuccarello and he helped spark their miserable power play? Those were good times just a couple weeks ago, but after breaking his wrist, the fun is over.
Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports that Zuccarello needs surgery for his wrist and will have the procedure done today. Unfortunately for the Rangers and their power play, Zuccarello is out indefinitely.
With Zuccarello out, Ruslan Fedotenko checks back into the Rangers lineup. Considering he was around before the Norwegian spark plug arrived, you’ll have to assume that Fedotenko won’t be bringing much scoring touch back with him.
As for the Rangers hopes that they might be able to land Boston College prospect Chris Kreider to help them out, that’s not likely going to happen until the playoffs at the earliest. Boston College qualified for the Frozen Four over the weekend and faces Minnesota on April 5 in the national semifinals.
If BC loses that game, Kreider could possibly be available for New York in their regular season finale on April 7 against Washington but that would put him in a tough spot to make his debut as the Rangers could need that game to lock up the first seed in the East. Kreider would be eligible to play in the postseason once he’s signed.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)