Mar 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Remember how fun it was when the Rangers called up Mats Zuccarello and he helped spark their miserable power play? Those were good times just a couple weeks ago, but after breaking his wrist, the fun is over.
Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports that Zuccarello needs surgery for his wrist and will have the procedure done today. Unfortunately for the Rangers and their power play, Zuccarello is out indefinitely.
With Zuccarello out, Ruslan Fedotenko checks back into the Rangers lineup. Considering he was around before the Norwegian spark plug arrived, you’ll have to assume that Fedotenko won’t be bringing much scoring touch back with him.
As for the Rangers hopes that they might be able to land Boston College prospect Chris Kreider to help them out, that’s not likely going to happen until the playoffs at the earliest. Boston College qualified for the Frozen Four over the weekend and faces Minnesota on April 5 in the national semifinals.
If BC loses that game, Kreider could possibly be available for New York in their regular season finale on April 7 against Washington but that would put him in a tough spot to make his debut as the Rangers could need that game to lock up the first seed in the East. Kreider would be eligible to play in the postseason once he’s signed.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 24
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)