Mar 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Remember how fun it was when the Rangers called up Mats Zuccarello and he helped spark their miserable power play? Those were good times just a couple weeks ago, but after breaking his wrist, the fun is over.
Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports that Zuccarello needs surgery for his wrist and will have the procedure done today. Unfortunately for the Rangers and their power play, Zuccarello is out indefinitely.
With Zuccarello out, Ruslan Fedotenko checks back into the Rangers lineup. Considering he was around before the Norwegian spark plug arrived, you’ll have to assume that Fedotenko won’t be bringing much scoring touch back with him.
As for the Rangers hopes that they might be able to land Boston College prospect Chris Kreider to help them out, that’s not likely going to happen until the playoffs at the earliest. Boston College qualified for the Frozen Four over the weekend and faces Minnesota on April 5 in the national semifinals.
If BC loses that game, Kreider could possibly be available for New York in their regular season finale on April 7 against Washington but that would put him in a tough spot to make his debut as the Rangers could need that game to lock up the first seed in the East. Kreider would be eligible to play in the postseason once he’s signed.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)