Mar 26, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
Remember how fun it was when the Rangers called up Mats Zuccarello and he helped spark their miserable power play? Those were good times just a couple weeks ago, but after breaking his wrist, the fun is over.
Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports that Zuccarello needs surgery for his wrist and will have the procedure done today. Unfortunately for the Rangers and their power play, Zuccarello is out indefinitely.
With Zuccarello out, Ruslan Fedotenko checks back into the Rangers lineup. Considering he was around before the Norwegian spark plug arrived, you’ll have to assume that Fedotenko won’t be bringing much scoring touch back with him.
As for the Rangers hopes that they might be able to land Boston College prospect Chris Kreider to help them out, that’s not likely going to happen until the playoffs at the earliest. Boston College qualified for the Frozen Four over the weekend and faces Minnesota on April 5 in the national semifinals.
If BC loses that game, Kreider could possibly be available for New York in their regular season finale on April 7 against Washington but that would put him in a tough spot to make his debut as the Rangers could need that game to lock up the first seed in the East. Kreider would be eligible to play in the postseason once he’s signed.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)