Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
For the fifth time this season, Pittsburgh Penguins center Evgeni Malkin has been named one of the NHL’s stars of the week.
This week, Malkin was named first star (his second such honor — he’s also received a second and two thirds) after scoring nine points in four games, keeping the Pens within one point of first in the Eastern Conference. Malkin did the majority of his damage with a five-point effort (2G-3A) in an 8-4 win over Winnipeg, followed up by scoring twice in a 5-1 win over Nashville (he also scored two points in a 5-2 win over New Jersey).
The 2008-09 scoring champ how leads the NHL with 46G-51A-97PTS and could be the league’s lone 100-point scorer on the season.
Second star went to Buffalo’s Ryan Miller. The former Vezina winner led the NHL with four wins while posting a 1.26 GAA and .956 save percentage as the Sabres drew even with Washington for the eighth and final playoff spot in the East. Miller stopped 24 of 27 shots in a 7-3 win over Tampa Bay, recorded his career-high sixth shutout against Montreal (34 saves), stopped 26 of 27 against the Rangers and then 24 of 25 against the Wild. With one more win Miller will hit 30 for the season, marking his seventh consecutive season of 30 wins or more.
Third star went to Washington’s Alex Ovechkin. He led the league with six goals as the Caps earned six of a possible eight points to stay ever-so-slightly ahead in the Eastern Conference playoff chase. As a result, Ovi is now tied for fourth in the NHL with 36 goals and has scored in five straight contests, one of his best stretches of the season.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)