Mar 25, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
The Masterton Trophy nominations continue to roll in and there’s another fascinating player being selected by his hometown media.
Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom gets the call today as the Red Wings nominee for the award and Ansar Khan from Mlive.com hears it from Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom about what makes Holmstrom the team’s ideal choice.
“We know what he’s been going through with his bad knees,” Lidstrom said. “We know the beating he’s been taking in front of the net and in the offensive zone, but he keeps getting back in there. He’s got so much determination and will. You can tell with his bad knees that he’s not giving up at all.”
Holmstrom joins Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo as Masterton nominees that don’t have sparkling reputations for one reason or another. Cooke being a reformed player and Tootoo’s escape from his personal demons make for much more captivating stories than Holmstrom, however. That won’t stop fans from twitching when hearing their names or seeing them on the ice for a game.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 0
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 17
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (36)