Mar 25, 2012, 3:31 PM EST
The Masterton Trophy nominations continue to roll in and there’s another fascinating player being selected by his hometown media.
Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom gets the call today as the Red Wings nominee for the award and Ansar Khan from Mlive.com hears it from Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom about what makes Holmstrom the team’s ideal choice.
“We know what he’s been going through with his bad knees,” Lidstrom said. “We know the beating he’s been taking in front of the net and in the offensive zone, but he keeps getting back in there. He’s got so much determination and will. You can tell with his bad knees that he’s not giving up at all.”
Holmstrom joins Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo as Masterton nominees that don’t have sparkling reputations for one reason or another. Cooke being a reformed player and Tootoo’s escape from his personal demons make for much more captivating stories than Holmstrom, however. That won’t stop fans from twitching when hearing their names or seeing them on the ice for a game.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)