Mar 25, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
The Masterton Trophy nominations continue to roll in and there’s another fascinating player being selected by his hometown media.
Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom gets the call today as the Red Wings nominee for the award and Ansar Khan from Mlive.com hears it from Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom about what makes Holmstrom the team’s ideal choice.
“We know what he’s been going through with his bad knees,” Lidstrom said. “We know the beating he’s been taking in front of the net and in the offensive zone, but he keeps getting back in there. He’s got so much determination and will. You can tell with his bad knees that he’s not giving up at all.”
Holmstrom joins Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo as Masterton nominees that don’t have sparkling reputations for one reason or another. Cooke being a reformed player and Tootoo’s escape from his personal demons make for much more captivating stories than Holmstrom, however. That won’t stop fans from twitching when hearing their names or seeing them on the ice for a game.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 20
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 5
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 9
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)