Mar 25, 2012, 3:31 PM EDT
The Masterton Trophy nominations continue to roll in and there’s another fascinating player being selected by his hometown media.
Detroit’s Tomas Holmstrom gets the call today as the Red Wings nominee for the award and Ansar Khan from Mlive.com hears it from Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom about what makes Holmstrom the team’s ideal choice.
“We know what he’s been going through with his bad knees,” Lidstrom said. “We know the beating he’s been taking in front of the net and in the offensive zone, but he keeps getting back in there. He’s got so much determination and will. You can tell with his bad knees that he’s not giving up at all.”
Holmstrom joins Pittsburgh’s Matt Cooke and Nashville’s Jordin Tootoo as Masterton nominees that don’t have sparkling reputations for one reason or another. Cooke being a reformed player and Tootoo’s escape from his personal demons make for much more captivating stories than Holmstrom, however. That won’t stop fans from twitching when hearing their names or seeing them on the ice for a game.
- Report: John Hynes to be named head coach of the Devils 4
- Ex-Leafs goalie Pogge eyeing North American return 1
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? 41
- Zuccarello (brain contusion, skull fracture) was unable to speak after injury 26
- Overtime format highlights competition committee meeting agenda 16
- Report: Changes coming to compensation for executives 23
- Here’s your 2015 Stanley Cup Final schedule 33
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years 95
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Western Conference Final Game 7 5
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 9
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (65)
- Despite getting further than ever before, big game letdowns continue to haunt Boudreau (64)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)