Mar 25, 2012, 2:12 PM EST
All right so Tim Thomas isn’t having the mind-blowingly awesome season he had last year. Those kinds of seasons are hard to recreate.
One thing Thomas did do recently, however, was to make some subtle changes to his equipment, and as Joe Haggerty of CSNNE.com points out, those changes are already paying off for last season’s Mr. Everything in Boston, especially after last night’s 4-2 win over Los Angeles.
Thomas said his old pads were “starting to break down” and had been so weighed down with sweat from the games in Florida that he wanted to opt for some equipment with some stiffness.
It looks like the rigid new pads are working out. Thomas has been like himself again over the last two weeks, and was at his best when the Bruins needed him in Los Angeles. He made 12 saves in the first period to match Jonathan Quick, and then Thomas kicked out a strong extended leg save on a Slava Voynov bid with a wide open net on the backdoor.
Hey, at least Thomas knew he could change his stuff up whenever he felt the need unlike Columbus’ Steve Mason who had no idea such things were possible. Then again, that’s why Thomas has won the Vezina, Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup. The Bruins could use the lift of seeing the Thomas of old to keep the Ottawa Senators off their heels and if this tweak in his gear does the trick, the Bruins set up to be dangerous in the postseason once again.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)