Mar 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
It’s the end of the run for the Florida Panthers. No, they’re not going anywhere other than perhaps the playoffs, but their blue third jerseys are being worn for the final time today against the Islanders.
As George Richards of On Frozen Pond hears from Panthers star forward Stephen Weiss, saying goodbye to the blue jerseys won’t be too difficult.
“We’ve been doing good in them, but I like the red ones better,” said Weiss, noting Florida has won the past three games in the third ‘Sunday-only’ jerseys and are 4-2-1 in them this season.
“They’re alright. But they aren’t the most intimidating things around. It is what it is. We wore them for a few years, now we’re moving on.”
It’s not all snark for what was ultimately a very ugly and pointless jersey, the Panthers are doing something good with them by conducting a silent auction during the game for the blue nightmares and giving the money to the Panther Foundation for pediatric cancer.
Giving up the shirts off your back for kids with cancer? That’ll play. If that doesn’t warm your heart, then we need to have a sit-down discussion about life.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 80
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (112)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)