Mar 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
It’s the end of the run for the Florida Panthers. No, they’re not going anywhere other than perhaps the playoffs, but their blue third jerseys are being worn for the final time today against the Islanders.
As George Richards of On Frozen Pond hears from Panthers star forward Stephen Weiss, saying goodbye to the blue jerseys won’t be too difficult.
“We’ve been doing good in them, but I like the red ones better,” said Weiss, noting Florida has won the past three games in the third ‘Sunday-only’ jerseys and are 4-2-1 in them this season.
“They’re alright. But they aren’t the most intimidating things around. It is what it is. We wore them for a few years, now we’re moving on.”
It’s not all snark for what was ultimately a very ugly and pointless jersey, the Panthers are doing something good with them by conducting a silent auction during the game for the blue nightmares and giving the money to the Panther Foundation for pediatric cancer.
Giving up the shirts off your back for kids with cancer? That’ll play. If that doesn’t warm your heart, then we need to have a sit-down discussion about life.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)