Mar 25, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
It’s the end of the run for the Florida Panthers. No, they’re not going anywhere other than perhaps the playoffs, but their blue third jerseys are being worn for the final time today against the Islanders.
As George Richards of On Frozen Pond hears from Panthers star forward Stephen Weiss, saying goodbye to the blue jerseys won’t be too difficult.
“We’ve been doing good in them, but I like the red ones better,” said Weiss, noting Florida has won the past three games in the third ‘Sunday-only’ jerseys and are 4-2-1 in them this season.
“They’re alright. But they aren’t the most intimidating things around. It is what it is. We wore them for a few years, now we’re moving on.”
It’s not all snark for what was ultimately a very ugly and pointless jersey, the Panthers are doing something good with them by conducting a silent auction during the game for the blue nightmares and giving the money to the Panther Foundation for pediatric cancer.
Giving up the shirts off your back for kids with cancer? That’ll play. If that doesn’t warm your heart, then we need to have a sit-down discussion about life.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 2
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)