Mar 25, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators don’t have big name forwards like the Chicago Blackhawks do, but the Predators certainly have no problem scoring goals. Six different Nashville players found the back of the net on Sunday to lead them to a 6-1 win against Chicago.
Nashville took the lead at 6:16 of the first period on the strength of a Matt Halischuk goal and never looked back. Trade deadline addition Andrei Kostitsyn ended up with the game-winning goal. Alexander Radulov got an assist to give him a point in all three of his games since he returned to the NHL.
This was a rough start for Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford, who seemed to have finally turned a corner lately. Crawford allowed just five goals in his previous four starts coming into this contest, but he was yanked after surrendering four goals in 41:47 minutes.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This victory allowed Nashville to leapfrog over the Detroit Red Wings and claim the fourth seed in the Western Conference. However, Detroit has played in one less game and they are scheduled to take on the last place Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday. Meanwhile, Nashville will need to compete against the top seed St. Louis Blues on Tuesday.
Chicago’s chances of finishing the season with anything better than the sixth seed significantly diminished on Sunday. Nothing is set in stone, but the Blackhawks have their work cut out for them with games against New Jersey, St. Louis, and Nashville next week. Chicago will have to compete in all of those contests without Duncan Keith, who is serving a five-game suspension for elbowing Daniel Sedin in the head.
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 0
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 12
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 19
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 29
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 15
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)