Mar 25, 2012, 11:05 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators don’t have big name forwards like the Chicago Blackhawks do, but the Predators certainly have no problem scoring goals. Six different Nashville players found the back of the net on Sunday to lead them to a 6-1 win against Chicago.
Nashville took the lead at 6:16 of the first period on the strength of a Matt Halischuk goal and never looked back. Trade deadline addition Andrei Kostitsyn ended up with the game-winning goal. Alexander Radulov got an assist to give him a point in all three of his games since he returned to the NHL.
This was a rough start for Blackhawks netminder Corey Crawford, who seemed to have finally turned a corner lately. Crawford allowed just five goals in his previous four starts coming into this contest, but he was yanked after surrendering four goals in 41:47 minutes.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
This victory allowed Nashville to leapfrog over the Detroit Red Wings and claim the fourth seed in the Western Conference. However, Detroit has played in one less game and they are scheduled to take on the last place Columbus Blue Jackets on Monday. Meanwhile, Nashville will need to compete against the top seed St. Louis Blues on Tuesday.
Chicago’s chances of finishing the season with anything better than the sixth seed significantly diminished on Sunday. Nothing is set in stone, but the Blackhawks have their work cut out for them with games against New Jersey, St. Louis, and Nashville next week. Chicago will have to compete in all of those contests without Duncan Keith, who is serving a five-game suspension for elbowing Daniel Sedin in the head.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)