Mar 25, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
After losing four of their previous five games, the Washington Capitals desperately needed a win to avoid falling out of the playoff picture. Alex Ovechkin stepped up to extend his goal scoring streak to five games and third-string goaltender Braden Holtby saved 28 shots to earn his third career shutout to lead Washington to a 3-0 victory over the Minnesota Wild.
We were halfway through the game before Jason Chimera finally found the back of the net to give the Capitals a 1-0 lead. Alexander Semin picked up an assist on the play to extend his point streak to three games. That allowed him to hit the 30-assist milestone, but with his contract set to expire this summer, this has still been a disappointing campaign for the 2002 first rounder.
Holtby provided the Capitals with an insight to the future of their organization. Holtby and Michal Neuvirth could fight for the starting job next season if they don’t re-sign or replace Tomas Vokoun.
Ovechkin also seems to be heating up at the right time. He has nine goals and 10 points in his last seven games. If he can continue to play at this level then the Capitals might be able to squeeze into the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As it is, Washington and Buffalo are now tied for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference in terms of points, but the Capitals have an edge seeing as they have a clear lead in the tiebreaker department. This victory sets the stage for their critical contest against the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)