Mar 25, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
After losing four of their previous five games, the Washington Capitals desperately needed a win to avoid falling out of the playoff picture. Alex Ovechkin stepped up to extend his goal scoring streak to five games and third-string goaltender Braden Holtby saved 28 shots to earn his third career shutout to lead Washington to a 3-0 victory over the Minnesota Wild.
We were halfway through the game before Jason Chimera finally found the back of the net to give the Capitals a 1-0 lead. Alexander Semin picked up an assist on the play to extend his point streak to three games. That allowed him to hit the 30-assist milestone, but with his contract set to expire this summer, this has still been a disappointing campaign for the 2002 first rounder.
Holtby provided the Capitals with an insight to the future of their organization. Holtby and Michal Neuvirth could fight for the starting job next season if they don’t re-sign or replace Tomas Vokoun.
Ovechkin also seems to be heating up at the right time. He has nine goals and 10 points in his last seven games. If he can continue to play at this level then the Capitals might be able to squeeze into the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As it is, Washington and Buffalo are now tied for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference in terms of points, but the Capitals have an edge seeing as they have a clear lead in the tiebreaker department. This victory sets the stage for their critical contest against the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)