Mar 25, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
After losing four of their previous five games, the Washington Capitals desperately needed a win to avoid falling out of the playoff picture. Alex Ovechkin stepped up to extend his goal scoring streak to five games and third-string goaltender Braden Holtby saved 28 shots to earn his third career shutout to lead Washington to a 3-0 victory over the Minnesota Wild.
We were halfway through the game before Jason Chimera finally found the back of the net to give the Capitals a 1-0 lead. Alexander Semin picked up an assist on the play to extend his point streak to three games. That allowed him to hit the 30-assist milestone, but with his contract set to expire this summer, this has still been a disappointing campaign for the 2002 first rounder.
Holtby provided the Capitals with an insight to the future of their organization. Holtby and Michal Neuvirth could fight for the starting job next season if they don’t re-sign or replace Tomas Vokoun.
Ovechkin also seems to be heating up at the right time. He has nine goals and 10 points in his last seven games. If he can continue to play at this level then the Capitals might be able to squeeze into the playoffs.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
As it is, Washington and Buffalo are now tied for the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference in terms of points, but the Capitals have an edge seeing as they have a clear lead in the tiebreaker department. This victory sets the stage for their critical contest against the Buffalo Sabres on Tuesday.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)