Mar 25, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
No one is betting on Claude Giroux to win the 2011-12 Art Ross Trophy. As good as he’s been, closing the 11-point gap separating him and the NHL-leading Evgeni Malkin in just seven games seems, to put it politely, unlikely. Which is fine, this has been a fantastic season for Giroux. He proved his 2010-11 breakout campaign was not a fluke and has already set new career-highs in goals and assists with time to spare.
“There’s no way I would have guessed I would have been up there,” Giroux said. “It’s pretty cool….I feel lucky to be up there. It’s not just about me. It’s about my linemates, too.”
Giroux said the teams focus is making “sure everybody is ready and healthy going into the playoffs.”
That’s where it should be, but finishing strong as a team is part of that and Giroux generating points certainly helps.
“Obviously I’ll try to catch him (Malkin), but it’s not my main focus right now,” he said. Giroux will face off against Steven Stamkos, who currently holds second place in the race for the Art Ross Trophy and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)