Mar 25, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
No one is betting on Claude Giroux to win the 2011-12 Art Ross Trophy. As good as he’s been, closing the 11-point gap separating him and the NHL-leading Evgeni Malkin in just seven games seems, to put it politely, unlikely. Which is fine, this has been a fantastic season for Giroux. He proved his 2010-11 breakout campaign was not a fluke and has already set new career-highs in goals and assists with time to spare.
“There’s no way I would have guessed I would have been up there,” Giroux said. “It’s pretty cool….I feel lucky to be up there. It’s not just about me. It’s about my linemates, too.”
Giroux said the teams focus is making “sure everybody is ready and healthy going into the playoffs.”
That’s where it should be, but finishing strong as a team is part of that and Giroux generating points certainly helps.
“Obviously I’ll try to catch him (Malkin), but it’s not my main focus right now,” he said. Giroux will face off against Steven Stamkos, who currently holds second place in the race for the Art Ross Trophy and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)