Mar 25, 2012, 11:25 PM EST
No one is betting on Claude Giroux to win the 2011-12 Art Ross Trophy. As good as he’s been, closing the 11-point gap separating him and the NHL-leading Evgeni Malkin in just seven games seems, to put it politely, unlikely. Which is fine, this has been a fantastic season for Giroux. He proved his 2010-11 breakout campaign was not a fluke and has already set new career-highs in goals and assists with time to spare.
“There’s no way I would have guessed I would have been up there,” Giroux said. “It’s pretty cool….I feel lucky to be up there. It’s not just about me. It’s about my linemates, too.”
Giroux said the teams focus is making “sure everybody is ready and healthy going into the playoffs.”
That’s where it should be, but finishing strong as a team is part of that and Giroux generating points certainly helps.
“Obviously I’ll try to catch him (Malkin), but it’s not my main focus right now,” he said. Giroux will face off against Steven Stamkos, who currently holds second place in the race for the Art Ross Trophy and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)