Mar 25, 2012, 11:25 PM EDT
No one is betting on Claude Giroux to win the 2011-12 Art Ross Trophy. As good as he’s been, closing the 11-point gap separating him and the NHL-leading Evgeni Malkin in just seven games seems, to put it politely, unlikely. Which is fine, this has been a fantastic season for Giroux. He proved his 2010-11 breakout campaign was not a fluke and has already set new career-highs in goals and assists with time to spare.
“There’s no way I would have guessed I would have been up there,” Giroux said. “It’s pretty cool….I feel lucky to be up there. It’s not just about me. It’s about my linemates, too.”
Giroux said the teams focus is making “sure everybody is ready and healthy going into the playoffs.”
That’s where it should be, but finishing strong as a team is part of that and Giroux generating points certainly helps.
“Obviously I’ll try to catch him (Malkin), but it’s not my main focus right now,” he said. Giroux will face off against Steven Stamkos, who currently holds second place in the race for the Art Ross Trophy and the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 24
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 17
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 56
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)